• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BFR question for 121 Pilots who fly GA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just get a BFR...show the starry eyed 300hr cfi how it's done.

Then the starry eyed CFI will have a great story about some arrogant airline pilot who got b!tch slapped by a 172. :laugh:

A pilot who doesn't recognize they could be killed in any mechanized vehicle demonstrates ignorance or arrogance (some days I honestly don't know which is worse). I am still active in GA and consider myself fortunate to be able share what I have learned. Often times, I end up learning more about GA flying from the students and I will bet my experience is not all that odd.

20+ years ago I was flying a B-727 for my paycheck and CFI (ing) on my days off because I was bored and golf season was still weeks away.

A rather precocious and arrogant CFI walked in with a pilot (55 yr old) that was having a difficult time getting checked out in a C-182, specifically the landings. To hear the CFI tell the story, the man flew well (really good was his exact words) but couldn't land. He flared high, as was reported, every time.

Well, I couldn't believe that was the full story and when I offered to help, the man graciously agreed. I asked to see his pilot certificate and you guessed it ... he was an airline driver (B-747 CA with NWA). We chatted on the way to the airplane and he felt horrible and was genuinely embarrassed by his performance. The remedy was quite easy. I told him to verbalize when he wanted to flare and to wait 5 full seconds before he adjusted the pitch for the flare. He greased it on the next three times.

When we returned to the flight school the CFI asked me how it went. I said, 'GREAT'. Really, he replied, how were the landings ? 'GREAT', I said and asked him did he bother to talk to the man and asked him what he did for a living. Because if you had, you would have realized he was flaring normally for his work airplane and needed a little guidance with the sight picture and he would be fine.

I offer this only to highlight that aviation is often a two way street.

I sit down with a DPE once a year for a chat about the goings on in GA. They along with the CFIs who are actively serving are a great resource to stay safe and legal.

So while a Flight Review is not required for FAR 121 pilots, I think the ground review is well worth the time and cost of lunch.

Last edited:
I bring my copy of my last PC into the FSDO and the inspector gives me a wings program certificate. I send that to the insurance company and they are happy.

Even more fun than that is watching an experienced pilot try an R/C plane:D

Oh, yea! So much broken balsa and plywood. Watched a guy smash a JR 10X on the ground after a 5 second destruction flight (Top Flight P-51/Supertigre .90), he was so frustrated. Stalked off the field swearing.

What a waste of good R/C equipment.

Sad.

Peace.

Rekks

Latest resources

Back