• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best zero time to regional route

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sign up for every credit card offer you get in the mail, you'll need 25 to 30 , some from the same credit card agency. Buy a light twin for cheap from Trade a Plane, buy it on the cards, fly your ass off on the credit cards, get your time flying lobsters to your friends, sell the POS you bought for cost and pay off gas and oil on your cards. Bingo!

Sign up for every credit card offer you get in the mail, you'll need 25 to 30 , some from the same credit card agency. Buy a light twin for cheap from Trade a Plane, buy it on the cards, fly your ass off on the credit cards, get your time flying lobsters to your friends, sell the POS you bought for cost and pay off gas and oil on your cards. Bingo!

You forgot don't pay on the cards, go into default, declare bankruptcy, screw everybody over, and start again.....

No wait, that is how to go from zero to airline management.....

You forgot don't pay on the cards, go into default, declare bankruptcy, screw everybody over, and start again.....

No wait, that is how to go from zero to airline management.....

BOOM! lol

Wonder what Kerry S. is doin' these days???

My advice...get a real job where you make a reasonable amount so you can live AND pay for some flying during your time off. The benefit here is that 1. you will most likely be able to pay for your flying as you go instead of racking up cc debt. 2. When the day comes where you get a job that pays you to fly, no matter how crappy the pay, you will always remember how much you hated your previous non flying jobs and you will go to work with a smile on your face. (Don't get me wrong. I don't agree that any flying job should be low paying...but that's a completely different topic.)

The pilots I work with that have the best attitudes are the ones who had non-aviation jobs after college. They built their time when they could and eventually made the jump over to CFI or some other flying job. Being a professional pilot can be fun (despite the pay) but you need to have a little perspective.

What I hear you saying is spend $100K on college so that you can move into a low-middle management position so that you can spend $30K to finance a hobby that might land you a $22K/yr job on the outside chance you land a job at a major airline 10 years later. And that's supposed to give you the perspective to keep your attitude up?

Who has the money and lifespan to devote to two half-hearted pursuits?

What I hear you saying is spend $100K on college so that you can move into a low-middle management position so that you can spend $30K to finance a hobby that might land you a $22K/yr job on the outside chance you land a job at a major airline 10 years later. And that's supposed to give you the perspective to keep your attitude up?

Who has the money and lifespan to devote to two half-hearted pursuits?

Exactly. Which is why regional airlines are having a difficult time filling classes now and it is just going to get harder over the next year as attrition picks up and part 117 kicks in. To go to one of these college aviation programs is pretty much financial suicide unless mom and dad have a couple of hundred K laying around. A while back a young guy called one of the financial gurus on the radio (may have been Dave Ramsey) and told him what he expected pay for a college aviation program and what he would make after finishing college. After laughing for a couple of minutes, the finance guy told him to forget aviation and get a business degree as aviation would be a horrible investment with practically zero return.

Will be interesting to see how all this shakes out, but I think you will see bigger planes, more flying insourced to mainline, and pipeline programs established where you get your degree, flow to instruction job, flow to regional, flow to mainline established with some kind of tuition guarantee involved either on the front or back end where mainline will pay for some of your education. This is getting priced to the point where average people cannot afford it. The zero to airline pilot programs are going to fall apart because not enough people are going to pay their prices when it won't get them a leg up anymore.

For half of what these guys starting now are going to pay for an aviation degree I have:
A History Degree, an aviation degree, 2 years toward an engineering degree, and an MBA in Accounting. Think about that. Over the last ten years the cost of an aviation education has tripled.

Hiring will come from the college programs and military with a few guys that worked their way up to 1500 hours at the local FBO. And there won't be enough of them for a while. This is going to get very interesting.

No, I think you will see a government-sponsored program that trains virtually anyone to fly via simulator to a certain degree of competency as aircraft "monitors". Not only will the path to the job change; the job itself will substantially change. We are seeing the last generation of airline pilots as we know them, to be replaced by "monitors" and eventually pilotless aircraft.

We need to accept that the world economies will continue to deflate and the demand to reduce costs everywhere will become a necessity to survive. Pilotless aircraft can be built without the necessity for pilot-able stability and can be more efficient allowing for eventual hybrid. fuel cell or full electric powerplants.

No, I think you will see a government-sponsored program that trains virtually anyone to fly via simulator to a certain degree of competency as aircraft "monitors". Not only will the path to the job change; the job itself will substantially change. We are seeing the last generation of airline pilots as we know them, to be replaced by "monitors" and eventually pilotless aircraft.

We need to accept that the world economies will continue to deflate and the demand to reduce costs everywhere will become a necessity to survive. Pilotless aircraft can be built without the necessity for pilot-able stability and can be more efficient allowing for eventual hybrid. fuel cell or full electric powerplants.

Maybe for cargo operations, but pilotless passenger aircraft are going to take a bit longer for anyone to accept...

Forget anything from the government. Airlines are making billions and they are going to ask the government to pay for their pilot training costs? Good luck getting that through congress when the government can't even pay its bills now.

Aviation universities are already partnering up with regional airlines and mainlines. Eagle is hiring guys and sending them to flight schools to build time until they get to 1000 and they will flow to Eagle. They are getting Eagle benefits while the flight school pays their salary.

At the college program where I instructed several HR reps have come through from regional airlines and their mainline partners to discuss setting up what I already discussed above. The big question is about the reimbursement, and if it should occur at graduation and be secured by a long term commitment, or after a graduate has worked in the pipeline for a certain amount of time and be tied to longevity at the company.

Go talk to some of the military guys who fly these drones and they'll tell you a different story about how great this technology is. Its great for the military because if one goes haywire they only lose an aircraft and some missiles, and they don't have to risk a pilot attacking hard targets. Little different when you are talking about putting people or expensive cargo at risk. Good luck getting Lloyd's to insure a cargo aircraft without pilots. You may see cargo go to one pilot monitor, but it is unlikely you will ever see completely unmanned large aircraft over populated areas. Too much risk.

You will never see people get on an unpiloted large aircraft for the forseeable future. Ever. There was a survey about this recently and something like 10% of passengers said they would be willing to fly on an aircraft with no pilot. Its all about perception and has nothing to do with technology. Used to get a laugh all the time when working as an agent and passengers would refuse to fly on a brand new Saab, and ask to be re booked on a 40 year old DC 9 because it is 'newer' technology. Perception is reality and logic flies out the window.

Current and future airplanes scheduled to be delivered are certified for two pilots. And they will fly for 20, 30 years. You won't be seeing robots flying you to Hong Kong anytime soon. Even the aliens in Independence Day were hand flying those space ships...

Latest resources

Back