• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best zero time to regional route

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With the 1500 hour rule now in effect, what is the best way for someone with zero time to get the minimums to apply at a regional? I am not asking if it should be done, but if it had to be done, what is the best option.

If your friends last name is Hilton or Kennedy then I would suggest plopping down a load of cash at ALLATP's or the like.

Otherwise if he/she is like the rest of us (middle class America) then:

1. military (although that has its pitfalls)
2. Get a CFI and start flying his/her butt off.

In reality it shouldn't take that long. Remember there was a time not too long ago when you needed 1500-2000tt to get on with a commuter. In the post 911 major outsourcing environment we are used to 500tt hiring but many of us that were hired pre 911 had over 1500tt back then.

I graduated from college in June 1997 (non aviation degree) but I had all my ratings (COMM, MEL and CFI) with 300 tt. By August of 1999 I had 1900tt and an ATP when I was hired at a Dash8 commuter.

From June of 1997 to Aug of 99 I had 4 flying jobs at the same time. I CFI'd at a military flying club on the weekends, flew traffic on Monday and Friday, flew right seat in a Navajo on Tue/Wed/Thurs and instructed in the evenings at a regular flight school.

I just put my head down and banged the hours out - most weeks flying all 7 days. BTW the year (98-99) I spent as a 135 Navajo pic was probably the best learning exp. of my career.

Unfortunately for you guys today there aren't many 135 gigs willing to cut you loose at 1200tt like there were 10-20 years ago. Mainly because the canceled check flying went away plus insurance in the post 911 aviation community went way up for low time guys. You'll have to get your MEL pic by instructing.

Amen brother!
Young guys don't get it! You one day will want and have a family! If I could, I would do it different. Four airlines later... Not worth it! Good luck to you all. Just remember an airplane will not love you back!
In 1982 after three flying jobs I found myself unemployed at age 39, back when that was almost too old to get an airline flying job. I decided to get out of the aviation profession and start my own business. But after 5 years it was a job that I had to work at. it was not the life I was happy in. I went back into aviation and as stated above I have had a ball. Stayed married to the same great gal, raised a family and I haven't work at day since going back into aviation because I am doing what I want to do. It has loved me back.

I need only to visit the regional page of FI to know that the vast majority of regional pilots are miserable. I did instruct and the mx was at times questionable. Same thing when I flew checks in 310's and barons. I too have lost friends. I didn't take these jobs thinking that aviation is a safe way to earn a living. Anyone who does clearly doesn't watch the news. I fail to see your point.

If I took the advice of the people on this board I would have missed out on a very rewarding and lucrative career.

Vast majority? Statistics much?

I guess you are confident that the "vast majority" of regional pilots comment on FI.

The best known method:

1. Go get a professional graduate level degree in an industry that isn't consumed by unions. Think engineering, medicine, or law. A solid business education, including graduate school, will also work.
2. Payoff your debt and live within your means.
3. Get a PPL and instrument rating.
4. Buy a nice plane and hang out at the local airport.
5. Maybe get a commercial cert for kicks.

This can be accomplished by an 18 year old before they turn 30. Under no circumstances should a professional flying career enter the into equation.

Last edited:
The best known method:

1. Go get a professional graduate level degree in an industry that isn't consumed by unions. Think engineering, medicine, or law. A solid business education, including graduate school, will also work.
2. Payoff your debt and live within your means.
3. Get a PPL and instrument rating.
4. Buy a nice plane and hang out at the local airport.
5. Maybe get a commercial cert for kicks.

This can be accomplished by an 18 year old before they turn 30. Under no circumstances should a professional flying career enter the equation.

That's a helluva contradiction. Great advice.

That's a helluva contradiction. Great advice.

Anything can contradict "live within your means."

-buying a nice car
-living in a large house
-owning a boat
-having a vacation property
-taking nice vacations
-...or any other hobby requiring means.

Owning a plane of any size is a lifestyle decision. If you really want it, it's possible to own a plane and not break the bank. If you love flying GA and enjoy working on machinery, it's a no brainer.

It is good advice.

Owning a plane of any size is a lifestyle decision. If you really want it, it's possible to own a plane and not break the bank.
A single engine airplane will cost you about $600/mo on average in fixed costs which is about what a family of 4 will pay for a lower level (which is really all there is) Obamacare plan. Hence by definition that is Affordable:D

Sounds about right.

...or $300 in a 50/50 partnership. Or $200 if you own a third. Run 80/87 trough an A-series, E-series, -200, -320, or -470 to keep the variale cost down, too.

Like I said, if you really want it, it's doable.

I figure my C-172 cost me about $7,000-$8,000 a year before I fly the first hour. I instruct in mind so my insurance in much higher.

Latest resources

Back