• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best zero time to regional route

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have my own airplane I instructed out of it for about 3 years. I racked up a lot of time and experience. But more importantly I treated my students like clients and cared about their training and it eventually led to a pretty nice part91 gig. I will be putting my little cheerokee(misspelled for a reason) up for sale so I can focus primarily on the 91 job. I sweated and prayed for the next phone call so I could pay next months payment and had several students try to kill me. Was it worth it? I think so.
Did all of this happened as I planned?? No,hell no!!! I wanted to fly 121 and thought what I am doing now would be beyond my reach. I still at times wonder if I should quit this 91 gig and go regional 121. Then I get a scheduling message about an up coming flight and I put those old dreams of regional flying back on the mental shelf. Things don't happen as u think they should, be open to all the possibilities and NEVER gripe about your current flying job within earshot of anyone other than close friends and family. You never know who's listening!!!
It's Either you love flying as a career because you think it's like PanAm or you love it because it's the coolest st!t in the world and every time you are sitting at home you can't wait for your next flight!!! That is what you need to decide, don't listen to anyone else out there. This is a job and like everything else it is not what it used to be.

Last edited:
You left out payments. Ask who ever gave you your 152 to send me a nice Saratoga TC.

No payment. I'm no genius but you gotta be a real dumbass if you take a loan out to by an airplane. Bought it in 2011 for 22k cash. My rule with toys (airplane, motorcycle, mountain bikes, skis and guns) is cash only. The only thing I owe money on is my house and it will be paid for in 6 years even at our crappy pay rates.

Last edited:
Sure if we were back in 1975. MOGAS, maybe, but the right non-ethanol flavor is scarce.

No it's not. You just need to know where (and when) to find it. You corner station miggt offer it during winter months...in AZ anyway. Try the Valero and Chevron stations at Higley & McKellips.

60% of my CFI hours were earned flying planes with fuel from one of those stations. During the summer months we had to go to the station on the 87 north of the 202.

You appear to have some first-hand knowledge of the PHX area so I'm guessing that you know where these places are.

No payment. I'm no genius but you gotta be a real dumbass if you take a loan out to by an airplane. Bought it in 2011 for 22k cash. My rule with toys (airplane, motorcycle, mountain bikes, skis and guns) is cash only. The only thing I owe money on is my house and it will be paid for in 6 years even at our crappy pay rates.

What's wrong with a loan for a toy? Costs you some $$ in interest but then you have the cash for a rainy day. Better than taking months to sell something if you need the cash.

My 152 costs me 600/month to fly 50 hours per year.

Hangar - 245
Ins - 50
Fuel 50X5X6.1/12=130
MX (annual, oil changes and msc mx) = 2000/12=170

245+50+130+170=595

Thats $144 an hour for a 152. Why not just rent for much cheaper?

Thats $144 an hour for a 152. Why not just rent for much cheaper?

I value having my own airplane. Some people have boats, some people have shore houses ect. I have my plane and the friends/lifestyle that comes with it. It's my shore house not an spreadsheet.

What's wrong with a loan for a toy? Costs you some $$ in interest but then you have the cash for a rainy day. Better than taking months to sell something if you need the cash.

If your OK with owing someone money then fine. I don't like that. I went down that road in my 20's and discovered it wasn't for me. I paid off my car and credit cards then put 86K in the bank (US air stock options, LOA money and j4j CA helped) before I bought my plane, house and moto. I put 20% down on my house and like I said paid cash for the rest of the toys and still had 27K in the bank at the end of 2011 (it also didn't hurt that I bought the plane and house at the bottom of the market in 2011). By the end of 2013 I should have 40k cash plus my 401K which I've dove 15% since I was 25.

I learned a lot of lessons from the guys who came before me (read 99 and 2000 hires) at mainline about managing your financial house.

Last edited:
first, stop wanting to be a professional pilot.

then go to senator/congressman school and learn how to really fck people over.

take all the money and buy yourself all the flight time you want.

Latest resources

Back