Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
I've just met part 135 IFR mins. I would eventually like to end up at Atlas or Polar. What is the best way to get on with them? I was thinking of either getting on with a good regional (air wisky, Expressjet, etc) or get on at Airnet and hope to upgrade to the Lear. I know Atlas has picked up regional pilots, not sure if they would pick someone up from a Lear/135 background. Anyone working at Atlas have any advise?

The question should be why are you so hell bent on Altas and Polar at such an early stage in your career? There are so many more quality operators to strive for than those. If it's the 747 thing, it's way overrated. They may fly a big aircraft but their paychecks are very small and they are not career airlines that you can reasonably expect to comfortably retire from.

I personally like the randomness of their flying.
I am sure the novelty of 747 around-the-word fying would wear off, but I think that it would be fun for a while.

Do they recruit at job fairs? (which ones?)
Is it possible to get in without an internal rec?

Thanks

Z

Atlas / Polar Pay

psysix said:
They may fly a big aircraft but their paychecks are very small and they are not career airlines that you can reasonably expect to comfortably retire from.

Not to get into a pissing contest about paychecks, but who are you comparing us (Atlas/Polar) against? FedEx or UPS? I'll tell you that we make good money, and now many of the Legacy carriers, with their pay cuts make what we make. I don't have to whore myself out to make a comfortable living, I know guys who work for some of these other freight outfits and national carriers who brag about making six figures in annual pay, but when asked how hard they had to work for it, it's a whole different story. I've been with Atlas for 7 years and easily made over 100k, while not compromising my quality of life at home.

But hey, that's just me:D

Happy New Year!

Hey Z,

Thanks for the PM, as to the comments about recruitment, we don't traditionally go to job fairs, but an internal rec can help. I'm told that there might be some hiring next year, but we're not sure when, things usually slow down in the first qtr. and we are pretty fat on crews now. If there is any announcement of hirings, I'll gladly post it.

psysix said:
The question should be why are you so hell bent on Altas and Polar at such an early stage in your career? There are so many more quality operators to strive for than those. If it's the 747 thing, it's way overrated. They may fly a big aircraft but their paychecks are very small and they are not career airlines that you can reasonably expect to comfortably retire from.

I like the nomad life. I'm young, single and want to see the world. Dont really have a problem moving to the UK for a few years if thats the junior base. Can any Atlas pilots comment on how many hours you fly a month/year and how many days off you get? I like the idea of going to work for a few weeks and then have a good amount of time off in a row to do as I please.

Atlas and World and a few other former "lower tier" are better jobs than any pAX carrier. I did a ton of research before getting hired at UPS and here is my top 10 list of places to work. ANyone who goes to CAL or accepts a recall to UNited/AA is making a mistake in my opinion. Cargo is where it's at!

1. UPS
2. FedEx
3. Atlas
4. World
5. Cathay
6. Gemini
7. SWA
8. Jetblue
9. NJA
10 Airtran

Last edited:
psysix said:

There's a credible opinion.

Latest resources

Back