Best way to get to Atlas / Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Atlas and World and a few other former "lower tier" are better jobs than any pAX carrier. I did a ton of research before getting hired at UPS and here is my top 10 list of places to work. ANyone who goes to CAL or accepts a recall to UNited/AA is making a mistake in my opinion. Cargo is where it's at!

1. UPS
2. FedEx
3. Atlas
4. World
5. Cathay
6. Gemini
7. SWA
8. Jetblue
9. NJA
10 Airtran

What criteria did you use when you put your list together? I gotta agree with you cargo is where it's at. This pax thing is way over-rated .....

PHXFLYR:cool:

With all the growth in China and soon to follow in India, Korea etc. cargo is where it's at. SWA and Jetblue cannot benefit from that. The rest of the business world is trying to find anyway to tie into the growth in Asia. Gemini, Atlas, etc. may not have been the best places before, but they are going to cash in and that translates well for their employees.

The legacies will probably merge and the newhires at CAL will get screwed. Meanwhile Brown, Purple, ABX and the other lesser known cargo carriers will be making more money than they can handle. My opinion only but I have done a ton of research the last 18 months and gotten an MBA.

I think psichix is living in another world. Beacuse no legacy has retirement palns anymore they all got out of retirements due chapter 11 and negotiaitons with the judges to void the contracts.
Anyway Li'l you'r right about cargo you just put Gemini on your list and didn't put Kalitta there so I think your list didn't have that much research you saying as Gemini right now has a pay freeze for new hores not going over the second year, plus kalitta even w/o the pay freeze pays more than gemini and fly better planes. Not because is 747 compared to DC10's just because our 747's are equiped if top of line eletronics updates FMS EFIS etc and Eletronic flight bags so no jepesen books to carry.
But like you also said it's just my opinion. the rest of list is kind of right but I wouldn't swap places with SWA neither Cathay as we have SWA and CATHY guys here that told me how it is there. My list would run a little diferent from yours.

My list:

1. FedEx
2. UPS
3. Polar
4. World
5. NCA
6. Atlas
7. Cathay
8. JAL
9. Evergreen
10. Kalitta

I wouldn't work at another pax airline unless I had no choice at all.

Last edited:
furloughfodder said:
My list:

1. UPS
2. FedEx
3. Polar
4. World
5. NCA
6. Atlas
7. Cathay
8. JAL
9. Evergreen
10. Kalitta

Why did you put UPS ahead of FedEx? From the posters on this board, UPS seems to have much less QOL than FedEx does, plus higher pay at FedEx.

Last edited:
Right after I posted that, I changed it. I do put FedEx ahead of UPS.

Why do you think Atlas / Polar is such a miserable career choice? Looking at Airlinepilotpay.com a 7 year FO at UPS makes $107 and a 7 year FO at Atlas makes $104. Doesn't seem too bad to me. But what do I know?

Last edited:
furloughfodder said:
My list:

1. FedEx
2. UPS
3. Polar
4. World
5. NCA
6. Atlas
7. Cathay
8. JAL
9. Evergreen
10. Kalitta

I'm with you.......:beer:

furloughfodder said:
Looking at Airlinepilotpay.com a 7 year FO at UPS makes $107 and a 7 year FO at Atlas makes $104. Doesn't seem too bad to me. But what do I know?

How did you get those numbers? Pulling directly off of the matrix, a UPS 7 year FO makes $107/hr like you stated, with a MONTHLY guarantee of 81 hours.

An Atlas 7 year FO makes $110/hr based on a 62 hour MONTHLY guarantee. Converting that figure to a 81 hour guarantee you get $84.19/hr.

A difference of over $22,000/yr just in base salary alone. Add to that UPS's 1% A fund and 11% B fund, and it's not just chump change, IMO. And that doesn't even touch QOL issues (which honestly I know nothing about between the two companies).

~wheelsup

Last edited:
And then there is always ABEX who didn't make anybodys list (yet).

7 Yr. 767 F/O is at $143 per hour with a 65 hour guarantee. Backing into it converting that number to a 75 hour guarantee still brings it to $123.93 per hour.

Granted, ABEX does not have the rock solid security as a UPS or FEDEX, but the pay is nothing to just blow off.

Latest resources

Back