Best way to get to Atlas / Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
barbarian4 said:
I wouldn't put ANY non-skeds on that list, unless you don't mind living in hotels and the back of the airplane.

Some guys love it, some hate it. I subscribe to the latter.

I guess it is a matter of perspective.

I came from a Legacy Major to the freight world. I have much more time at home now than I ever did with a major airline. Only go to work once a month, home for 12 to 14 days stright every month, sometimes 20 days at home at a pop. On average the best I could do at the Major was get 4 days in a row unless I was burning vacation days. Now if I add vacation to the normal time off I don't even see an airplane for a month +.

If you are the type that needs to be home evey couple of days then Atlas/Polar or similar is not for you, but if you like to go to work once a month and play the rest of the month then it's good.

Depends on your personality and how your family feels. If it ever starts to put a strain on the family then I will move on, right now it's all good though.

KeroseneSnorter said:
I guess it is a matter of perspective.

I came from a Legacy Major to the freight world. I have much more time at home now than I ever did with a major airline. Only go to work once a month, home for 12 to 14 days stright every month, sometimes 20 days at home at a pop. On average the best I could do at the Major was get 4 days in a row unless I was burning vacation days. Now if I add vacation to the normal time off I don't even see an airplane for a month +.

If you are the type that needs to be home evey couple of days then Atlas/Polar or similar is not for you, but if you like to go to work once a month and play the rest of the month then it's good.

Depends on your personality and how your family feels. If it ever starts to put a strain on the family then I will move on, right now it's all good though.

Ditto!! I spent 176 days at home in 2005.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Atlas and World and a few other former "lower tier" are better jobs than any pAX carrier. I did a ton of research before getting hired at UPS and here is my top 10 list of places to work. ANyone who goes to CAL or accepts a recall to UNited/AA is making a mistake in my opinion. Cargo is where it's at!

1. UPS
2. FedEx
3. Atlas
4. World
5. Cathay
6. Gemini
7. SWA
8. Jetblue
9. NJA
10 Airtran

I think you got World mixed up... Easily #3. If not 1 or 2.

Live where you want...NO COMMUTING is #1,
excellant work rules, good pay (don't compare it to what Pilotcentral reports, World pays you extra in alot of different ways.) Excellant benefits,
Upgrade w/in 5yrs
no panel

Latest resources

Back