• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best way to FedEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You don't have to have filed your separation papers, but they want to know your availability date. I was never asked what my official separation date was, only what date I could start. I saved up as much leave as I could and backed up my separation date as far as possible. I then told FedEx when I could start and hoped for the best. If I didn't get hired on prior to my terminal leave date, I was going to continue working in the AF up until my separation date until they called and then sell the remainder of my leave back. As it turns out, I started 6 days after I started my 75 days of terminal. It worked out pretty well.

I fly a Falcon 20 for a cargo operation in Dallas and have 3 years of previous FedEx sort/ material handler experience (late nights/ early mornings) while Fred paid for my college and ratings. My tt is 3200 with 600 SIC turbine. I was fortunate enough to jump seat all over the place after 9/11 when the doors were all changed out. I have a few of good pilot friends at FDX. I don't want to jump the gun before I have my time. Any advice?

Ditto what NightFlyer said.

With all due respect to the other posters, they don't have all the facts. I've helped many pure civ types get ready for FDX interviews, and they have done very well. Some have been night freight dogs, but it has been multi time, not caravan time, that they had the most of. Also, the Line Check thing is also a very nice feather in the cap. For those in civilian ranks wanting to join FDX, I think getting on with training or standards at your regional is a very good discriminator.

The networking angle is important, however, any way you look at it.
One good point in favor of a job at a regional is you just might be giving a FDX guy a jumpseat here or there. Keep your business card handy and trade cards with anyone at a major where you want to work. You never know who you might meet that might just be eager to help you out...

Yo! I disagree! I have a DC10 and MD11 rating, current and qualified, well over 8k in time with plenty of PIC, yet FedEx could care less, despite the fact that I have several LORs.

What gives?

Ditto what NightFlyer said.

With all due respect to the other posters, they don't have all the facts. I've helped many pure civ types get ready for FDX interviews, and they have done very well. Some have been night freight dogs, but it has been multi time, not caravan time, that they had the most of. Also, the Line Check thing is also a very nice feather in the cap. For those in civilian ranks wanting to join FDX, I think getting on with training or standards at your regional is a very good discriminator.

The networking angle is important, however, any way you look at it.
One good point in favor of a job at a regional is you just might be giving a FDX guy a jumpseat here or there. Keep your business card handy and trade cards with anyone at a major where you want to work. You never know who you might meet that might just be eager to help you out...

What % of hires in the last 5 years were civilian?

Yo! I disagree! I have a DC10 and MD11 rating, current and qualified, well over 8k in time with plenty of PIC, yet FedEx could care less, despite the fact that I have several LORs.

What gives?

You don't belong to the military good 'ol boys club.

What gives?

getting onto Fredex is a battle of will power, who can endure the longest. I know a few people in the situation as yourself with really good time but no cigar. It is a company where you have to know the right people and they have to have juice. My own situation started at the commuters, Fredex feeders(excellent for knowing movers and shakers in management), part-time jet charter pilot, and part-time manager at Fredex. I started this route due to my sponsor. The value of a good sponsor can do wonders for you when the powers that be do not like the fact that you PIC time was in a turbo-prop such as a P-3 or C-130. This situation happen to a couple of pilots that are already on with Fredex. I plan to hang in there until one of us has had it.

Latest resources

Back