• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Sunglasses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The best sun glasses are available for $27 at the military bx.

American Optical...they're good, but I wouldn't say the best. I wore them for years, and they were always a favorite. I like the silver frames, though. Right now I'm finding a pair of black plastic frame Raybans are doing well; they have good neutral color issues, no distortion, and cover my field of vision well enough that I don't have to deal with light coming in around the sides. I lose them, so I wear them with some fabric chums glasses holders all the time. No complaints.

Those 27 buck AO sunglasses are about 45 bucks commercially. Still a good deal compared to others (including the raybans), but I do like the raybans.

avbug, how much longer are you going to lay low?

Lay low? I've been posting, including in this thread. Been busy on fires, but that's ending.

Let me put it another way, All of the big planes windows are polarized

Define big airplane.

A polarized windshield is not what causes the rainbow. I'm won't disagree that the rainbow effect does happen, but its due to the electrical heating elements not polarization of the windshield.

Last edited:
Just buck the trend and wear som RayBan Wayfarers, they'll be in style soon enough, plus they are sweet.

Define big airplane.

A polarized windshield is not what causes the rainbow. I'm won't disagree that the rainbow effect does happen, but its due to the electrical heating elements not polarization of the windshield.

In F-111s we were told to avoid polarized lenses because the windows were polarized, which would cause blind spots if the crew wore polarized glasses.

I don't know if that is true for any other airplane.

Like previously mentioned, windshields fitted with de-ice are a problem, that covers most anything bigger than a Seneca.

Glasses I own/previously used:

-a pair of Ray Ban sport wraps that are 7 years old. Almost no distortion; only near the frame. I tried a $30 no name once. I walked out the store with them on and the distortion was so bad I felt drunk. I turned right around and returned them immediately. The Ray Bans cost almost $90. They've been a great investment. I prefer gray lenses since it keeps the color changes to a minimum.

-an old pair of Ray Ban aviators with amber lenses that make the reds and greens brighter. Very strange, but it does seem to reduce some glare. Sits unused in one of my cars.

-$15 polarized pair from Bass Pro that I use for driving. Can't read LCD screens with them on unless I cock my head just right. Similar distortion to the Ray Bans, but easier to damage. At least I reduce the wear on the Ray Bans.

JETFLYER22,
I have Maui Jims, Serengeti's, Ray Bans, and Oakleys.
I personally like the oakley 5's for flying...."AMBER" lenses not polarized as shown in the link.

http://oakley.com/pd/1141/2358

They are form fitting and have great perephial views....the problem with POLARIZED lenses is that you see Rainbows on CRT screens as well as Polarized glass (F-111) or any windows with windshield defog or heating elements in them.

Additionally you can spot a/c at distances of 15-20 miles easily at altitude and the one thing that oakleys amber lenses do....that no other glasses do.....is depict color in T-Storm....in other glasses if you are trying to go between cells because you are headed torwards BLUE or what you see as blue(makes a big difference on job stability!!!)....in the amber lense you will actually see if its gray or blue.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Tex

http://oakley.com/pd/1141/2358

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back