• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Sunglasses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
www.hidalgos.com Get their Contraster lens and their plastic black frames. Best quality lens I have seen in glass and has IR protection for high altitudes as well as UV protection. Read an AMA article about IR at altitude raising the eye temp and causing long term damage. These will run about $50 and are comparable to the REVOS. They don't offer online ordering yet so order their catalog.

Some of the cheap ones have UV protection if not most. After you fly for 20yrs plus you will realize that those cheap ones are just as good and easier on your pocket book. I still have 20/15 after all these years.

Walmart $14.99 sunglasses are great. They are non polarized and work well, besides if you lose them or break them there is a Walmart near you.

I agree with Bandit. If you lose those there will be no heart attack over $150 sunglasses. :bawling:

If you plan on making aviation a career then once you step into the jets you'll want a non-polarized lens. The windshield is already polarized so all you'll see is a rainbow when you try to look through it.

If you plan on making aviation a career then once you step into the jets you'll want a non-polarized lens. The windshield is already polarized so all you'll see is a rainbow when you try to look through it.

I don't think this is an accurate statement. I have yet to see polarized windshields in any plane that I've flown. Some aircraft have electrically heated windshields that cause the rainbow effect. Looking through two polarized items causes various degrees of light blockage depending on the angle difference beween the two polairzed. If the polarization is parallel you won't notice anything different. If the lenses are at 90 degrees of each other all light will be blocked and you won't see anything past the second lens. This is the principal that the passenger windows on a King air works.

The real problem with wearing polarized lenses is that alot of instrument or electronic displays are polarized which causes the "double polarized" problem and not allowing you to see the display.

serengeti makes a new drivers lens thats polaried on the top half and not on the bottom so you can look down through the lens and see the glass without doing the head tilt. They are going almost 200 bones though

Be careful with the polarized shades as most company OPS Manuals prohibit their use due to the color issue & FMS. Spend the extra money & buy some quality glasses.

I don't think this is an accurate statement. I have yet to see polarized windshields in any plane that I've flown. Some aircraft have electrically heated windshields that cause the rainbow effect. Looking through two polarized items causes various degrees of light blockage depending on the angle difference beween the two polairzed. If the polarization is parallel you won't notice anything different. If the lenses are at 90 degrees of each other all light will be blocked and you won't see anything past the second lens. This is the principal that the passenger windows on a King air works.

The real problem with wearing polarized lenses is that alot of instrument or electronic displays are polarized which causes the "double polarized" problem and not allowing you to see the display.
Let me put it another way, All of the big planes windows are polarized

serengeti makes a new drivers lens thats polaried on the top half and not on the bottom so you can look down through the lens and see the glass without doing the head tilt. They are going almost 200 bones though
Dingo, please tell me what model that is. Currently using Serengeti's with the Driver lens, good for the glass cockpit.

avbug, how much longer are you going to lay low? :confused:

The best sun glasses are available for $27 at the military bx. American Optical gold aviator frames. If you need prescriptions your eye doctor can make lenses that will fit.

Latest resources

Back