Best suit for interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LearLove's post is almost perfect. A couple minor additions:

Along with dark/navy blue, charcoal is fine (pick the one that you look best in). Wool always looks best.

Do not wear a button down collar shirt (plain collar only).

Sheryl Cage's book, "Checklist for Success," says to have a fresh haircut (no more than 3 days old).

Its true you want no scent -- other than clean.

The red/dark red silk tie is the standard, but any conservative, professional looking tie is fine (think Congress & Fortune 500).

If you want to see something funny, go to an aviation job fair. You will see a bagillion (technical term) robots in nearly identical suits. Individuality is not the thing interviewers are looking for.

Obvious stuff: Make sure the pants are the right length, you are not covered in lint or pet hair, you are not too wrinkled and your shoes are shined & brushed. You don't have to spend a fortune to look good ($400 is a good estimate).

Here's a trick that saved me at one interview several years ago.

Upon arriving at the hotel the night before, I discovered that my suit had fallen off the hangar in the hang-up bag and was a crumpled mess. To get the wrinkles out, I hung it up in the bath room, turned on the shower full hot, and closed the door for 20 minutes. The steam got all the wrinkles out.

Something to put in your bag of tricks.

Also, regarding the choice of clothing, the most important thing is to be conservative and comfortable. You can make minor deviations from the standard to account for your personal taste.

I have always opted for the conservative dark blue single-breasted suit. However, I personally prefer a lighter toned blue shirt. And, I wear a favorite tie, which is not red but is conservative nonetheless.

I have worn the above to three different airline interviews and have gotten a job offer from all three. The key is that it should be conservative and look good. A slight deviation from the norm may actually make you stand out just a little in the mind of your interviewer.

Interview suit

Yep, plain navy suit, single-breasted, good-quality white shirt, and good-quality red tie. Probably no tone-on-tone ties. Obviously, make sure the suit is well tailored. This is the time to spend a few bucks. Go to a good men's shop or good department store, such as Foley's, or Filene's, or Robinson's. This is not the time to go clothes shopping at Robert Hall.

This reminds me of my American Eagle interview. There were several AA interviewees there on the same day. Every one of them was attired identically as described above. There were some women, who wore the female equivalent. I don't recall any pantsuits.

I appreciate KC-10's comments and respect his interviewing success, but I dunno about deviating too much from the norm here. In a way, you really want to look just like everyone else. You don't want to stick out. Airlines don't like individuality. You don't want to give the impression that you're too much of an individual. Ironic, because there may times you have to show some individuality and leadership, such as meeting an emergency.

I strongly recommend Jos. A. Banks Clothiers for great suits and accessories at a decent price. Also, very knowlegeable salespeople.

Good luck at your interview.

bobbysamd-

Good point about not deviating too much from the norm. I guess I meant to say that one has to feel comfortable, but at the same time always be mindful of what the norm is.

I should have stressed the words "MINOR" and "SLIGHT" deviations. There is a danger, I guess, with being too creative in your clothing choice. This danger, in the extreme, could lead to showing up in a lavender tux. If in doubt or not absolutely sure, go the most conservative route -- dark suit, white shirt, red tie.

It's funny, though, that at my JetBlue interview a significant number of interviewees wore blue shirts with blue tone-on-tone ties. Go figure...

jetBlue Interview

KC-10 Driver said:
It's funny, though, that at my JetBlue interview a significant number of interviewees wore blue shirts with blue tone-on-tone ties. Go figure...
Makes perfect sense to me. jetBlue . . . . blue suit, blue shirt, blue tie. As Spock would say, "It is logical."

Although I stand by what I wrote above, I'd show up in a getup like that for a jetBlue interview. But, I'd be d@mn sure that my quals are strong! If I have any doubts that my quals won't stand up against others, I'd play it straight.

A good book to read about these matters is John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success, ISBN: 0446385522, available at www.amazon.com and elsewhere. One thing Mr. Molloy advises is to dress for the company. In other words, if you know the accepted "uniform" at a company, wear it to the interview (I'd still wear a suit for an interview at a so-called "dress down" company, though.). Also, dress as if you have the job already. Obviously, you cannot wear a flight officer uniform to the interview, but the navy suit-white shirt-red tie is the closest thing.

Last edited:
Re: jetBlue Interview

bobbysamd said:

Also, dress as if you have the job already. Obviously, you cannot wear a flight officer uniform to the interview, but the navy suit-white shirt-red tie is the closest thing.

Just wear a suit with 4 stripes faintly embossed on the sleeve. That oughtta impress them.

I think I'm beginning to see why Bobby never got the job after his interview.

Always the bridesmaid never the bride. LOL.

Uniform to Interview

I heard of someone doing that. That person didn't get the job, though.

Maybe I should have tried it. :)

I'm curious...does the "be very conservative" advice apply for an airline like Southwest, who seems to enjoy playing the game differently? Doesn't mean you have to wear your lime green suit - but would they possibly look favorably on an applicant that stands out just a bit against the other drones?

A little bit off subject, however...

I seem to remember about 4 years ago that Cecil Ewell (at the time, Chief Pilot -- or something like that -- at AAL) had put out the word that military guys could/should wear their military uniforms to the interview.

I heard, anecdotally, about guys doing that. I don't know, however, what the interview success rate was for these guys. Anyone know?

Latest resources

Back