Best suit for interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

clearprop

I may need to get a new suit soon and want to know the best type and color(s) for interview purposes. Just want to be prepared should the need ever arise. Thanks!

1. Dark Blue or Navy Blue suit (no double brest or anything not normal) make sure it fits - you'd be supprised what guys try and squeeze into for an interview

2. White shirt (long sleeve, Reg. or button collar/pen pocket) - undershirt (white no writing on them, no wife beaters) - again you'd be supprised

3. red tie (plain or consevitave design)

4. black dress shoes, plain, simple laces - wear the shoes before the interview to break them in and set the laces so they don't com untied. Black dress socks. Black belt plain, no large colt revolver buckels either.

5. standard silver/metal conservitave watch - turn all alarms off (ALSO LEAVE THE CELL PHONE OFF AND IN THE BRIEF CASE OR OVERNIGHT BAG) Better yet take the battery out, nothing pisses off HR better than a briefcase ringing in the middle of "what would you do if the capt .....bla bla bla"

6. briefcase - black plain leather or leather substitute/lookalike. No backpacks/flightbags/plastic bags - again you'd be shocked

7. No aftershave smell/cologne just take a shower with soap and shave.

When you get all this stuff put the shirt/suit/pants/undershirt/underware together in a garmet bag. Take the shoes/socks/belt/tie/briefcase/watch?? and place them in a box near where the suit stuff hangs. Believe me this stuff you don't use often has a unique ability walk off the night before the interview.

Try todays man or mens wearhouse. Between suit, shirt, shoes, tie, and belt your looking at 400-500. Try to look for 50% sales at todays man or 2 for one, nows a good time for these deals.

Side notes: I remember reading an AOPA article in the early to mid 90's about hiring at Piedmont. The HR lady they interviewed told AOPA how they had a guy show up at SBY in cutoff jeans and a t-shirt. They put him on the next flight home. On the other side of the coin though I herd of a guy in the early 90's show for a Huston F-16 Guard slot interview in flipflops, shorts, tanktop and remember thoes big face covering Oakley sunglasses. They hired him just because he had the balls to do it, as far as I know he's still there.

Hope it helps

clearprop said:
I may need to get a new suit soon and want to know the best type and color(s) for interview purposes. Just want to be prepared should the need ever arise. Thanks!

One that's clean and conservative. That's it.

Great advice from Learlove. I've been to a lot of interviews in the last year and noticed a trend. A lot of guys look LOUSY in their patented blue suits and red ties. The most important thing is that you LOOK GOOD and are COMFORTABLE with what you are wearing.

Polyester looks like crap.

Get a good wool suit.

Have the thing tailored.

Wear a conservative tie that complements the suit without standing out.

I say pay the extra bucks to look the sharpest you can in a conservative fashion.

P.S. I am batting a thousand at my airline interviews with a dark charcoal, wool, custom-made, single-breasted, barely perceptable pin-striped suit, maroon/black tie, black wingtips and dark grey socks. The important thing is that I feel sharp in the thing. (it didn't break the bank either)

Suggestion

Think Zoot.

Wingtips.

And garters for your socks.

Grow sideburns.

If you don't have time to grow them color them in with permanent (preferably black) magic marker. If you can't get black use brown. In an emergency red marker is ok too but if you use red remember to wear a red clown wig.

Note:
NEVER use green marker.

OOPs

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**.

I apologize for my last post.

Of course that advice is ridiculous.

....................Naturally, green magic marker is perfectly acceptable.

I personally used the lavender tux as seen on "Dumb and Dumber" except without the cane and top-hat, of course.

Hey, it got me a job at ACA!

Well........

With the cane and tophat you would have been hired into the chief pilot slot.

DarnNearaJet said:
I personally used the lavender tux as seen on "Dumb and Dumber" except without the cane and top-hat, of course.

Hey, it got me a job at ACA!

Latest resources

Back