• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best suit for interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regarding SWA interview attire.. When I interviewed, it seemed that most of the folks interviewing looked pretty much the same. Dark blue suits.. A few of the guys had "individual" ties which I think was the extent that most people were willing to stretch the conservative interview suit..

FWIW...

S.B.

I would go the extra mile and buy a nice black or dark navy suit like a DKNY or Armani Exchange, you can get them at Macy's or Marshall Fields on sale during certain times of the year. I bought two DKNY's for a total of $600. The $200 generic suit likes like absolute shiiite.

wow this one is beat to death huh??!!

really-just wear a good quality, conservative, pressed suit.

Mens wearhouse is perfect, should be able to do it for 3-400 bucks. done.

OK, here is the final word in interview suits.

It may not be fighting fair, but in today's job market, you do what you gotta do.

A pink (very pink) suit with a frilly shirt (floral print optional), no tie, lots of chest showing, platform shoes (nicely shined to show professionalism).

This will instill a mortal fear of discrimination lawsuits in HR types if you are NOT hired, therefore ensuring your success.

(I intend no offence to any of you who dress this way out of choice)

Good Luck to all!

Too much emphasis has always been placed on this whole subject and it's minutia such as whether a button-down shirt is a no-no (It's not, by the way). Forget about needing to look like another interview clone with a dark navy suit w/ plain red tie or risk tipping the scales out of your favor. NObody loses or gets a job because their shoes were wingtip instead of cap-toed. Use as your guide what any conservatively-dressed businessman wears. Wander through a Brooks Brothers store and look around.

What that tells you is to avoid faddish styles and/or colors. This means something single-breasted and dark; navy, charcoal, etc (for you Southerners, leave your seersucker at home). It does not have to be solid. Your tie does not have to be red. In fact, I think plain, red ties are manufactured only to supply the market created by "expert" interview advisers, because you rarely see one in real life. Aside from being conservative, here are the basic rules of what IS required:

Look good in your suit. Ask people if you look better in navy, dark grey, or charcoal and go with it. Make sure it fits by getting it tailored. It will be more comfortable and you'll be more confident and relaxed during the interview knowing it. Oh yeah, select something that you can wear at ANY function where a suit is required. The whole notion of an "interview suit" is silly in the first place.

Shine your shoes. Absolutely do this. Buy new ones if need be.

Don't stink, whether from cologne or through bad hygiene.

Thats about it

For those of you in the role of the interview-ER, what do most female applicants wear? I know the options for a female are a little more broad than a suit and tie. Do most go with suit? Do you more commonly see skirt or pants? The conservative and not too trendy would be important, on that note, do you see women in suit alternatives?

Ali

you won't believe this but here goes.....I went to an interview with my rattiest suit on and really didn't even comb my hair and I got hired.... it really doesn't matter if you can cover GQ, just know your stuff

Women's apparel

alimaui said:
For those of you in the role of the interview-ER, what do most female applicants wear? I know the options for a female are a little more broad than a suit and tie. Do most go with suit? Do you more commonly see skirt or pants? The conservative and not too trendy would be important, on that note, do you see women in suit alternatives?

Ali
From what I recall during my interview days, you sound like you have it right. Something navy, well-tailored, good-quality, with a nice white blouse. Skirt about calf-length. I don't remember seeing pantsuits. I remember that the women applicants I saw at American when I interviewed at AE were dressed alike, but very professional.

I don't know that many women's designers, but probably something like Anne Klein or Jones New York or even Brooks Brothers will work. I believe that Christian Dior makes women's suits (I know they make men's suits).

Of course, you know what they say about not wearing too much jewelry, etc.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your interview when the time comes.

The question asked, was "what is the standard for dress". It was not "do you think blue jeans and a tank top is okay?" Interview attire is very much dependant on the position in question.

Ali

PS. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones, and idiots who post sarcastic remarks before spell checking shouldn't throw them either.

Latest resources

Back