Best-soundin planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea Baby! Yea!
The Mark XVI Spit with the Packard-Built Roll-Royce Merlin. Sea Fury, P-51, T-6, F4U,Stearman, F6F, B-25, Mark XIVc Rolls-Royce Griffon, P-38!

Best-sounding aircraft

I grew up very near an AF base and not far from our large municipal airport, so I got to hear plenty of great-sounding aircraft.

I'd say nearly any multi-engine radial. I heard plenty of C-47s. Also heard RC-121s and C-54s (I think - could have been C-118s). Also heard and saw others, such as C-119s. Then, when I was a college student, I traveled through ORD quite a bit. I remember sitting in a 727 waiting for takeoff when a C-124 Globemaster took off. I could hear the roar of its four radials inside the 727!

Last summer a beautiful natural aluminum B-17 spent a few days here. I saw it while running an errand for work downtown and then as it flew over my house. No mistaking its radials!

Then, when I was living in OKC, someone brought in a P-51. There was something particularly exciting about that Merlin!

I agree with the above about the sound a 1900 makes when you throw it into beta. That's cool, too.

All the planes listed make a great sound! I happen to think the neatest sound is when a -10 powered Mu-2b is starting up and the Single Redline Limiter is kicked in (SRL) -- woosh - woosh - woosh eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RJ:D

The Cessna 421 Golden Eagle has a nice sound. Sounds good on takeoff and flying over.

Coolest plane

breaking the no jet rule, I saw this fighter at the dayton air show a few years ago. It was doing demonstration. I cant remember what kind it was but I am pretty sure it was a fighter. It was a smaller plane and had a turbine, but no afterburner. When it would he gave it power, it had the coolest hum/whistle.......Anybody know what plane this could be????

?????

I think that Rare Bare running WFO (Wide F!#$!ng Open) would have to be my first choice.

Then the Wistle Pig (F-27) would be next, there is just something about that piercing frontal noise of the RR Dart that just says "I am way bad".

Regards

Smoking Man

intruder

Breaking the no jet rule, I'd have to say the A-6. That thing was loud as hell.

Latest resources

Back