Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about the MU-2. Now thats loud.

2 of them ;

Boeing 727 on a still morning and Supermarine Spitfire doing a low pass and or victory roll.

If that don't make the bum cheeks tickle - I don't know what does!

Obi-Wan said:
How about the MU-2. Now thats loud.
You mean the MU-2 on the ground right? It makes a reaaaally strange sound...anybody know where that comes from???

Also, re the queenair question, the first ones came out with 480's, they were probably underpowered i imagine. Yes the aerocommanders had geared lycs too. I luv the sound. In idle they sound cool as well.

I heard the Camel at Sun n Fun 2000, and it was strange, cause it either runs at full throttle, or no throttle at all, so when it flies, it goes braaaaaam, putt putt putt. braaaaaam putt braaaaaam ----reaaaly odd. :eek:

The Camel and other rotory powered airplanes do that because there is a switch on the stick that is conected to the magneto.

When you want to reduce power you turn the magneto off and you want to add power you let go of the switch.

The engine is either off or on.

And as far as the other post on the 72 noise, no way man, have you ever spent anytime on the ramp with a bunch of 72's going buy in full reverse or takeoff power(ATL), make you see double after a while, and thats with the hush kit.

MU-2, they taxi at 100% and criuse at 98%, haha.

The one jet that really sticks in my mind is the F-104. I guess they have a really wierd bleed system, when they taxi by you, you can hear the engine surging and making weird noises.

Breaking the no jets quasi-rule. I have to agree with the post putting up the F-104. I got to listen to one of those make a flyby once. What a wierd noise, and cool.

As for props, a p-38 with the turbo-superchargers operational doing a high speed pass is an awesome sound. And the lope of a P-51 idling is just sensual.

skywav8r said:
Used to fly an old Stinson 108-3 with a 190hp Franklin. Sounded like a Harley Davidson. Very cool!

Can't imagine anything not radial, not to mention a flat-six, sounding like a harley! :confused:

Now i'm curious!

Well let's see if I can cover all my favorites here.

As for the round motors, all of them, the DC-3s, the Pratt R2800s, and I believe the R3370s on the DC7 and Super Connies.

The P-51 with the RR Merlin is my favorite though of the non-jets.
Lastly for this category, anyone ever heard a Hawker Sea Fury's RR Griffon? Another totally different sound.

Going to the airliners, nothing can match the Rolls Royces RB-211 on the Tristars and 75s. As they're spooling up to T/O power that growl they put out is woody city.

Gotta also add the Concorde on this one as it goes into AB.

Speaking of woody city, the G-II with the RR Spey as it approaches 98-100% T/O power on a cool crisp quiet morning.

As for military, the roar of an airshow where multiple F-4 Phantom IIs are flying. Nothing can beat that noise even though a bunch of Tomcats flying around are pretty impressive too.

:) The winners, of course, are; the Supermarine Spitfire with the Rolls Royce Merlin and the Concorde on take off, pure music.

Latest resources

Back