• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Regionals To Work For

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's always interesting to see how things change. And fast too. Three years ago I doubt many people would have put Comair as one of the top to work for (low paying contract, and one of the last to drop pay-for-training for all new hires). Before Delta bought ASA, who would have listed them? Just drives home the point that the "best" may change as fast as who signs a new contract.

Cornelius said:
My top three:

1- Air Wisconsin
2- Horizon
3- Express Jet
4- Skywest
5- ASA

That's funny, the regional that I work for didn't make the list. Hmmmmm.

Hey Cornelius,

Is that the Spanish Inquisition style of listing your top three? LOL

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Seriously though, I would say it depends on many factors. Such as where do you want to live? Do you want to commute? How much can you afford to front for training and housing expenses? How long do you intend to work for the regional? Is a career possible?

For me ACA is my first choice because of the following:
-I live 30 minutes from IAD and the training center, so crash pad expenses are of no concern.
-I have money saved so low pay during the first year and nearly no pay during training are of little concern.
-I may never get to a major and I feel ACA has a bright future where I could have a comfortable flying career.
-Soon to be all jet fleet.
-Offered a class in the CRJ.
-Current growth so I should build seniority fairly quickly. Upgrade is not fast but I already have 1,000 hours PIC MEFW turbine from the military.
-If I have to commute to ORD it should be relatively easy and short lived.

If I had not been offered a class with ACA I would place the following in order of preference (for today’s environment):
-ASA
-Air Wisconsin
-Comair
-Pinnacle (possible quick upgrade in CRJ)
-????????

The above list is highly subjective, just my two cents.

Last edited:
MartinFierro said:
It's always interesting to see how things change. And fast too. Three years ago I doubt many people would have put Comair as one of the top to work for (low paying contract, and one of the last to drop pay-for-training for all new hires). Before Delta bought ASA, who would have listed them? Just drives home the point that the "best" may change as fast as who signs a new contract.

You are so correct. 5 1/2 years ago all my friends were going to commute air,(now refered to affectionatley as commode air) They were the best. Huge profit sharing checks fast upgrade and everyone really respected and loved the company. I went to COEX, had to pay for training, started making 13.49/hr. (Commute air had just dropped their pay for training about 3 months later). Anyway, COEX was high spirited but unhappy group. Now holey cow. I moved up to be #300 in a company of over 2200 (prior to the 11th). Times are hard but thats still the best 10 K i ever spent.

Thanks for all the response.

Those names are some of the ones I expected. Being on furlough, I place a lot of stock in a stable airline that will be around for a while. After that my priorities are location and quality of life issues like pay/benefits, schedules/timeoff.

I was just curious what you folks thought since at some point I'll have to decide whether to go back or take a new job (currently in the pool). I'd give my left one for a crystal ball to see the future of both companies.

Poo Poo fixation

>>>commute air,(now refered to affectionatley (sic.) as commode air<<<

Okay, Pickle, so we're now up to at least two threads in which you have made disparaging comments about CommutAir by way of stupidly toying with the name. Toilet fixation on your part, perhaps?

And let me help you out here... It's CommutAir, or even Commutair, not "commute air."

I'm not sure what your beef is with CommutAir, or why you insist on slamming them, but whatever points you try to make (and some of them are even well-reasoned) are obscured by your pointless name-calling.

I am also at a loss to understand why so many ExpressJet types are borderline hostile to CommutAir, seemingly feeling that they are taking "your" flying. Well you need look no further than your own management (or former management in the case of Continental), who decided to dump all your 1900's and other props to go all-jet.

So which is it, are you happy to have the bragging rights of being an all-jet carrier and leaving the lesser-served markets to Continental Connection, or are you going to insist upon feeling like you are being rooked by a gang of Beech drivers?

FWIW, I would rank CommutAir as one of the better places to work. You aren't going to get rich there, but the working conditions were good and the pilots and flight ops people are top-notch. yes, things were very bad for a while but they are coming back strong... And on balance I heard much less complaining coming from CommutAir pilots than the pilots from nearly every other airline I happen to see on a regular basis. I can think of much worse places to work, and some of those are the bigger and "better" airlines.

Re: Poo Poo fixation

I.P. Freley said:
>>>commute air,(now refered to affectionatley (sic.) as commode air<<<

Okay, Pickle, so we're now up to at least two threads in which you have made disparaging comments about CommutAir by way of stupidly toying with the name. Toilet fixation on your part, perhaps?

And let me help you out here... It's CommutAir, or even Commutair, not "commute air."

I'm not sure what your beef is with CommutAir, or why you insist on slamming them, but whatever points you try to make (and some of them are even well-reasoned) are obscured by your pointless name-calling.

I am also at a loss to understand why so many ExpressJet types are borderline hostile to CommutAir, seemingly feeling that they are taking "your" flying. Well you need look no further than your own management (or former management in the case of Continental), who decided to dump all your 1900's and other props to go all-jet.

So which is it, are you happy to have the bragging rights of being an all-jet carrier and leaving the lesser-served markets to Continental Connection, or are you going to insist upon feeling like you are being rooked by a gang of Beech drivers?

FWIW, I would rank CommutAir as one of the better places to work. You aren't going to get rich there, but the working conditions were good and the pilots and flight ops people are top-notch. yes, things were very bad for a while but they are coming back strong... And on balance I heard much less complaining coming from CommutAir pilots than the pilots from nearly every other airline I happen to see on a regular basis. I can think of much worse places to work, and some of those are the bigger and "better" airlines.

Well first let me thank you for the editing, i am eternally greatfull. I do apologize that i do not have better spelling and phonics. Second let me say the the guys working for COMMUTAIR would find no better friend than myself as many have been in my jumpseat and are allways welcome. This is also where I have learned the term COMMODE AIR. Now In my previous post I do believe that i recommended commutair to the person asking the question. SO im not sure that I know what you mean. If you had read this post then maybe you would have seen how I stated that 5 1/2 years ago commutair was the place to be. I think you might be hard pressed to find anyone there currently that feels safe about thier job. I get this information from the people on the front lines themselves. I also think you are uneducated about the express jet types disliking commutair. We do have a problem with the whole connection phylosophy in that some of that flying might be done by ourselves........HOWEVER this is not directed at commutair, (and it is not for us to question why. Mngt says we go all jet......I guess we go all jet, there are worse fates.) It is more directed at gulfstream. And airline that exploits pilots by selling the right seat and is also run by a scab. I think most guys would gladly give up a few pax right now in the hopes that they may fill commutairs seats thereby keeping the company solvent. Like I said many of my friends went there and some still are.

Now i have tried so hard to discuss this with you in a frank manner however i just can not resist the urge to point out that i really believe in my heart that you sir are a j@ckass. I bid you good day.

Dieterly said:
My top five:

1- Air Wisconsin
2- Southwest
3- Express Jet
4- Skywest
5- ASA

Its an interesting perspective that you put southwest as a regional. I guess when you really think about it, and compared to the type of flying that the 50 seat jet operators ae doing, southwest really IS a regoinal.

It depends on what your top priority is? Pay, bases, equipment, cash on hand to help through tough times, relations with the papa carrier, routes, schedules, work rules, attitude at company. You have to look at all these questions to get an honnest answear. And to each pilot, one may put upgrade as #1, another pay, and another, scedule? I can only be up front with the airline that I work for, SkyWest.

EMB FO 1st yr 2ndyr max CPT 2ndyr 5yr max
Pay- $19.02 $27 $31 $45 $50 $68

Latest resources

Back