• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Net Book!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Macbook Air. $999.00. Does everything a regular Macbook does, just no Superdrive. Aluminum case, so way more durable than ANY netbook out there.

Peace.

Rekks

Dell isnt that bad. I have a 5 year old inspiron 2200 that works fine. All I had to do was get a new battery. I want a new laptop but I have no idea what to get so this will do for now.

Ditto. My wife and I both have Inspiron notebooks we bought in Jan 2005 and they still work just fine. Performance wise they are a little dated, but they still do everything we need them to do. Since it's been 6 years since I last bought a computer I had better start to re-educate myself on current technology. The iPad looks pretty cool but no USB and no Flash is a nonstarter. I guess I'll wait and check out Google's version.

The iPad looks pretty cool but no USB and no Flash is a nonstarter. I guess I'll wait and check out Google's version.

That was the show stopper for as well. Coupled with no camera, no SD card support, and prolonged use of the touch keyboard drives me nuts. Even though you can buy the external components, I'm a commuter, so the smaller, lighter weight, less amount of crap I have to carry the better. Dragging around and bunch of peripheral extras just defeats the purpose.

I just picked up a Macbook air 11". Marginally bigger than a ipad but way more functional. I wish they would have gone for a more compact L x W dimension and made it thicker, but I think I'll live.

And just like my linux SSD netbook, it's hard to beat the 30 second boot up time.

Ipad no thanks. Not going to spend that much money on a half laptop. thanks though..

Your loss. Try laptop x10.
It's difficult to explain. I'll just say this type of computing should be the future.
Laptops will seem cumbersome and archaic in a few years.
If your not convinced. I have a nice toshiba net book for sale.

... it's hard to beat the 30 second boot up time.

I never shut down my MacBook. Just put it to sleep, and it'll have about a one-second boot-up time! It's much more convenient that way, and it doesn't use much battery in sleep mode at all.

Your loss. Try laptop x10.
It's difficult to explain. I'll just say this type of computing should be the future.
Laptops will seem cumbersome and archaic in a few years.
If your not convinced. I have a nice toshiba net book for sale.

I'd agree that it's the future of mobile computing, but not in it's current form. For most of the reasons I already mentioned. Toss in the PITA that is file/data transfer complexity compared to a standard netbook/laptop.

When it has peripheral capability, as well as a more sophisticated OS then it will definitely be a game changer.

EX, with my netbook or Macbook air, I can plug in something as basic as an SD card reader or flashdrive and transfer media over, and play that media with a host of programs. As opposed to having "synch" and convert it over to a specific format, or download apps to play the media.

I never shut down my MacBook. Just put it to sleep, and it'll have about a one-second boot-up time! It's much more convenient that way, and it doesn't use much battery in sleep mode at all.

Sometimes it's just too much fun to show off your stuff to people stuck using conventional hardware ;-)

Ipad is coming out with the camera and usb port edition in January. Anyone have any experience with the Mac Air?

The best netbook is the one that a flight attendant took out of my overnight bag while I walked out of the crewroom for 20 minutes.

Which sucked for me but I actually laughed so hard I cried a little because my camera bag with $3000 or so of camera stuff was left untouched.

Latest resources

Back