• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Net Book!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll echo the 13" MacBook Pro. Probably the best purchase I've ever made. Get the Booq Bag Viper case for it and it will fit in your flight kit and be safe.

The Macbook is an excellent piece of equipment. Personally, for me it's just a tad too big. However, when I had my12" powerbook that thing fit my needs nicely. Especially if you NEED to have an optical drive.

They can be found on various used/refurbed online outlets for less than $500 in most cases, with a warranty.

ok who likes their netbook better than a laptop on trips? I have been told by some that I would be unhappy going from my laptop to a netbook. I just like the idea of being able to throw it in my flight bag or suitcase.

Thanks I know they will fit, but do you like it as much or willing to sacrafice not a full sized laptop?

Since I got my netbook, the laptop stays at home and handles some P2P duties. I have never missed it on an overnight. It is small so it fits nicely in my duffel bag in the cockpit and not in a roller bag in the cabin. Works great for commuting and you don't have to half-fold the screen when the person in front of you reclines their seat like you do with a regular laptop. Most of the pilots I see now in the crew rooms using computers are using netbooks.

I know macbooks are nice, but considering the price you could get a net book and an ipad for the price of a netbook and have money left over.

D. oes not
e. ven
l. ast
l. long

I switched to apple a year ago. Best move I ever made... Ipad is a lil high but a 12-17 hr battery life???? That's alot of movies..

Dell isnt that bad. I have a 5 year old inspiron 2200 that works fine. All I had to do was get a new battery. I want a new laptop but I have no idea what to get so this will do for now.

For years I used to drag around my old '03 Dell. 6.5 lbs 15.6" used to be gaming laptop. It makes you look old in the TSA line. After that it was all about size. I got the ASUS Eee PC model 1018P.

It did everything I wanted. Surfing, netflix, bidding in FLICA, and accessing crewtrack. 10" screen, very light, and very small. 6h+ battery. No more fighting for the outlets. All this for $379. The built in webcam and the mike was kind of shady and the two buttons on the touch pad are hard to press but you never use those. Overall very good quality. I was happy with it until suddenly during a BIOS update it bricked itself. Today I was called to pick up a new one or get store credit.

So now I have the chance to do it again. Although I have only good things to say about this Eee PC, I am fairly sure I am not getting another 10" one, or one with the Atom N450 processor. I found I was scrolling a lot with the 10". I can do that on my iPhone. The CPU and the 1 gig ram was ok most the time but a simple skype video call made it cough.

Now I think I will pay extra and get an ultralight laptop. iPad is not a contender because it has no camera, and crewtrack does not load fully on Safari. Also many websites redirect you to their mobile version. Not sure if that can be turned off or not. Plus my wife wants one so we will get that regardless :D

I agree with the guy who said 12" seems the way to go. I wold check out the Lenovo X100e as well. 11.6" screen. On sale right now for $399. Comes with the full version of win7 btw but still the Athlon Neo which is about the same as the Intel Atom. Or the Lenovo S12.1 which comes with the Atom.

I think I will go for the 13.3" screen Toshiba Protege laptop for $779. Mostly because my local bestbuy has it right now. Comes with a 2.4Ghz Core i3, 4gig ram. It is 1" thick. My Eee PC was 0.9". Only 2" longer, and 0.8 lbs heavier. But for $400 more than a good netbook.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back