Best Mid-Size

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GVFlyer

With the new congressional rules coming down concerning use of corporate jets for personal transportation many execs are mirroring those requirements in their personal travel. These guys are kind of in a Catch 22 situation, however. They want to avoid the perception associated with personal use of business aircraft, but many companies have board of directors imposed safety and security requirements that preclude key execs from using commercial transportation. Subsequently, a number of these execs have asked me about buying an airplane.

For those flying around 200 hours a year, fractional ownership makes economic sense and a mid-size meets their requirements.

When asked which is the best mid-size jet, I've replied, "The G200 and the Challenger 300. The Hawkers are either last generation technology that fly low and slow or are facing entry into service issues. The Citation X has a small dark cabin and has reliability issues."

Further refining the issue, I've suggested that NetJets would be the best company to purchase a fraction from because their size and international footprint offers better recovery offsetting their periodic labor issues which adversely service. So we arrive at the G200 as the best mid-sized jet.

I'm open to suggestions to improve the quality or accuracy of my counsel...

GV

The X has a dark cabin?

Hmmm only when the pax close all the shades.

Hey V

I know its French and all but wouldn't you put the DA-2000 up there against the Mighty G-200 and the Witchita inspired CL-300???? As a newly typed CL-30 guy, I'd have to say the plane is a kick to fly with all the whiz bang avionics but as a new airframe it does leave a few things to be desired.
With the recent surge in market price the 300 is no longer the same "value" when compared against the 2000 IMO.

I think the old 800 Hawker works. I have got five thousand hours in one, with forty Atlantic crossings. If it is money thing it is hard to beat. Plus they are built, I was always a little worried around a Texas thunderstorms in a Citation. I guess everyone can’t afford a Gulfstream. Of course 2nd segment is always an issue out of mountain airports. With a west wind over 50kts you got to go to Iceland. What a piece of sh1t “O” screw it everyone need a SAV Gulfstream.;)

Last edited:
GVFlyer:

I know that we have discussed the merits of the Hawker. But speaking of "Old Technology" You do know that the Fancy G200 you wistfully speak of is noting more than a IAI Westwind "runwayhog" derivative, don't you?

Now I agree that you have chosen a company to provide your companies needs that has their crap in "one sea bag" so to speak. Face it they have been doing it longer and better than anyone out here. I think you're company will be pleased, but the choice of A/C based on your statement is lacking in knowledge of corporate aviation and airframes.

Just because it has risen from old technology (Hawkers & Westwinds) does not mean it is bad airframe. Just remember to do you're background research to see which is the best airplane for you. I can recall an accident near TXK because the WW couldn't climb fast enough.

If you agree with the G200 best of luck, if it is another airframe, best of luck.

And as 300pilot stated boots on a Jet is BAD news! Been there, done that!

I know its French and all but wouldn't you put the DA-2000 up there against the Mighty G-200 and the Witchita inspired CL-300???? As a newly typed CL-30 guy, I'd have to say the plane is a kick to fly with all the whiz bang avionics but as a new airframe it does leave a few things to be desired.
With the recent surge in market price the 300 is no longer the same "value" when compared against the 2000 IMO.

Thanks for you response, Rice. It is difficult to accurately characterize the Falcon 2000 as to cabin class. It has a 1,024 cu. ft cabin. Comparatively, the G200 has a 868 cu. ft. cabin, the CL300 has 860 cu. ft., the Hawker 800XP has 604 cu. ft. and the Citation X has a 593 cu. ft cabin.

A Falcon 2000EX quarter share costs $6.565 million, the CL300 $4.75 million, the Citation X $4.600 million, the G200 $4.475 million, and the Hawker 800XP $3.200 million.

I agree that the Falcon 2000 EX is a good airplane, but it's in a different class from the rest of the mid-size jets.

GV

GVFlyer:

I know that we have discussed the merits of the Hawker. But speaking of "Old Technology" You do know that the Fancy G200 you wistfully speak of is noting more than a IAI Westwind "runwayhog" derivative, don't you?

Now I agree that you have chosen a company to provide your companies needs that has their crap in "one sea bag" so to speak. Face it they have been doing it longer and better than anyone out here. I think you're company will be pleased, but the choice of A/C based on your statement is lacking in knowledge of corporate aviation and airframes...

Thanks for your response to my post.

The G200 wing design is based on the high speed wing of the Astra, [FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]but otherwise the jet is a completely new design. When compared to the G100, the G200 wing is 3.5 ft wider and has 52.4 sq. ft more wing area. The G200 has a new "widebody" fuselage, which is significantly wider and longer than the G100's with a 6'3" aisle. The rear fuselage is area ruled to reduce drag. The Galaxy features modern avionics with an EFIS Collins Pro Line 4 cockpit and nonstop trans-Atlantic range and one stop trans-Pacific range.

I'm also aware that the G200 requires 6,080 feet of runway for take-off at MGTOW at sea level on a standard day.

You're right in saying that I am also shopping for the fractional operator of the aircraft. As the jet will be used extensively in Hawaii and Europe, recovery capabilities are important and in that arena NetJets can't be beat.

GV

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The Sovereign

The Sovereign is also a good choice for those who need flexibility. Same tube as the X, can use 4000' runways, coast to coast range at .8 burning 1700/lbs an hour at 410.

Latest resources

Back