• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Helicopter of all time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to go with the UH-1; as I understand it the Cobra is a derivative of the Huey. I was fortunate enough to fly the TH-1L as an SNA and the UH-1E in the FMF. The E model was underpowered, especially for Southeast Asia but the H model seemed to do quite well for the Army. I got to fly the D,B and H model in the National Guard along with the OH-6A and CH-47A; all fine aircraft.(I only had a flight or two in the B model so I'm far from experienced on that one.)
If there is or was a crappier helicopter than the Enstrom F-28 I would be surprised.

I have to go with the UH-1; as I understand it the Cobra is a derivative of the Huey. I was fortunate enough to fly the TH-1L as an SNA and the UH-1E in the FMF. The E model was underpowered, especially for Southeast Asia but the H model seemed to do quite well for the Army. I got to fly the D,B and H model in the National Guard along with the OH-6A and CH-47A; all fine aircraft.(I only had a flight or two in the B model so I'm far from experienced on that one.)
If there is or was a crappier helicopter than the Enstrom F-28 I would be surprised.

OH-6A

Now we are talkin!!

I have to go with the UH-1; as I understand it the Cobra is a derivative of the Huey.

The UH-1Y and AH-1Z are supposed to have something like 80% parts commality -- not bad for something ship based. I got to fly the UH-1H at mother Rucker and the UH-1N in the Air Force.

It would depend on what model you flew. I agree that the 28A was an overweight machine for the power. The A stands for anemic. The later models do much better. For a personal owned and operated helicopter, the later models, especially the F's and FX's are a better choice than the R44.

As for the best helicopter, my personal choice is the Bell 47. It is still going strong. It help develop this industry into what it is today. Bell just sold the TC to Scott's Helicopters so there is a possibility that it will be back in production.

Training - Bell 47

Cruising - Agusta 109

Hauling the boss' wife and her girlfriends to the Elton John/Billy Joel Concert in Miami - S76A++

Latest resources

Back