Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

m4j2t

how fast can we go when we here "best forward speed"

can we exceed 250 below 10K with authorization?

please don't publish the regs and aim for my sake...I memorized these. I would like some other published information to support the answers to these two questions.

vector4fun what do you know about this?

WT is right. You still have to watch the speed limits for the airspace you are in and below 10K ft

just to put a spin on this (not flaming) I called 5 fsdo's, and got answers from different ops feds. the highest speed was mach .99 inside a surface area of class d

"best forward speed" music to my ears..push it as fast as she'll go...within regs of course;)

m4j2t said:
how fast can we go when we here "best forward speed"

can we exceed 250 below 10K with authorization?

ATC cannot authorize you to deviate from the 250 kt rule. That's reserved for the Administrator's representative only, and we aint it. Pilots may deviate from the rule if safety requires a higher speed though. "Best Forward Speed" *should* mean, goes as fast as the regs and prudence allow. Generally, it will help if you reply by telling me what you can do, like "We'll give ya 290 kts" on climb out. Then I'll give the guy in trail 270, and the next guy behind 250. That's so we can give the Center their required in-trail spacing. (for example)

When I'm working the tower, I will try to NOT jam 3 departures going out the same gate right up each others tail pipes. However, on days like today, (sigh) we have to make the most of every hole we get. Plus TMU is giving us ONE minute departure slots to hit. (yeah, right) It would be nice if I could launch airplanes in a 4 ship flight some days....

When we're not that busy, and somebody in the tower keeps handing me three in a row out the same gate min spacing, I will say something unkind on the shout line. :mad: It's also one reason the departure sequence is sometimes juggled a bit...

m4j2t said:
just to put a spin on this (not flaming) I called 5 fsdo's, and got answers from different ops feds. the highest speed was mach .99 inside a surface area of class d

This is a very good example of how much good it does to "call the fsdo". There are guys there who love to give you a completely off-the-wall answer. To them, the law is black-and-white. When people call for a "clarification" of a rule that is so obviously concrete and simple, they just love "yankin' yer crank". They can see you are obviously lookin' for some "loophole" to squeak through, so they will give you all the rope you want to hang yourself.

Vector4fun said:
It would be nice if I could launch airplanes in a 4 ship flight some days...
I can remember the folks at LAS tower practically doing that very thing. It was back in the late 70's and they would get up to 5 (?) VFR Grand Canyon airtour airplanes to "taxi into position and hold behind the..." The first airplane of the gaggle would be told to "taxi up the runway a bit to give other aircraft room..." They would then clear us for takeoff (off of RW 19) at about 10 to 15 second intervals between airline arrivals and departures off of the east-west runways.

Actually Vector4fun, it sounds like you could probably learn a few tricks from your buddies over at ASE. :D

'Sled

Don't you just love it when you are given "best forward speed" and then you are switched to the next controller and they give "slow to 250 knots".

Latest resources

Back