• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best Food Cooler

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I used to use the ebags cooler, which worked fine, but that left me trying to find a place to hang my laptop too. I ended up buying the Aerocoast cooler, which is about as big as the ebags, but also has a detatchable laptop case you can velcro to it.

http://www.aerocoast.com/products_detail.php?p_id=21

I'm digging this bag. Un-velcro two of the strips and the laptop bag flops down to go through security. It can be completely separated for squeezing into overhead bins. It says it fits a 14" laptop but my 15.6" laptop fit after a little coercing. Two decent size side pouches, two compartments in the front, and a large "dry goods" compartment up top. I don't have a problem fitting my 4 day worth of food in there, but Your Mileage May Vary of course, depending on how you eat and what you pack. The bag stays at least as cold as my old ebags. My only complaint is that the provided plastic fitting for the velcro straps is a bit tight. Easily solved by purchasing a couple 1.5 inch D-rings from hardware or a craft store and replacing the original fitting.

With respect to keeping it all cold, I tried frozen gel packs, but what happens if you can't get to a place to refreeze them when they get warm? The best thing I've found so far is to buy a couple ice bags (like for an injury) from walgreens or walmart, and keep em filled with ice. No matter where I am, I can get ice, either from the aircraft or the hotel ice machine. It's a little higher maintenance than gel packs, but you can always count on it.

http://www.arcticzone.com/products/az/coolers/icecold-ultra-zipfree-cooler/

I've seen a few of these at ASA.

Best thing about this type of cooler is the hard plastic liner. No need to carry ice packs that melt, etc. Use ice from the galley and dump it directly onto your food. As the ice melts, pour it out onto the ramp, then use ice from the galley to cover it up again.

If you go to a hotel without a fridge, just go to the ice machine and pack all your food in ice for the night. In the morning, everything will still be cold.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really pumped about liberating my guts and wallet from the crap food. There are really some great ideas in here that I hadn't thought of. Everybody fly and eat safe.

I use the strongbags cooler with a cvs water bag full of ice. The cooler is big and has many, large pockets. The cvs hot water/ice bottle is great because I don't have to depend on a freezer in base or refrigerator at the hotel. I just fill it up morning and night (and some times during the day in the summer) and my food stays cold without getting wet.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really pumped about liberating my guts and wallet from the crap food. There are really some great ideas in here that I hadn't thought of. Everybody fly and eat safe.

Once you get your bag, get the whole cooked chickens from Cub Foods for 5-6 bucks, there good and it lasts for a 4 day trip no problem.

I use the strongbags cooler with a cvs water bag full of ice. The cooler is big and has many, large pockets. The cvs hot water/ice bottle is great because I don't have to depend on a freezer in base or refrigerator at the hotel. I just fill it up morning and night (and some times during the day in the summer) and my food stays cold without getting wet.

What is a CVS water bag? Anyone have a link?

Strongbags customer service sucks. I have a strongbags cooler sitting in my basement with two broken zippers (after 3 weeks of use), that they refused to fix... They were happy to give me 5% off purchasing a new bag however. F-them.

http://www.aerocoast.com/products_detail.php?p_id=21

I'm digging this bag. Un-velcro two of the strips and the laptop bag flops down to go through security. It can be completely separated for squeezing into overhead bins. It says it fits a 14" laptop but my 15.6" laptop fit after a little coercing. Two decent size side pouches, two compartments in the front, and a large "dry goods" compartment up top. I don't have a problem fitting my 4 day worth of food in there, but Your Mileage May Vary of course, depending on how you eat and what you pack. The bag stays at least as cold as my old ebags. My only complaint is that the provided plastic fitting for the velcro straps is a bit tight. Easily solved by purchasing a couple 1.5 inch D-rings from hardware or a craft store and replacing the original fitting.

With respect to keeping it all cold, I tried frozen gel packs, but what happens if you can't get to a place to refreeze them when they get warm? The best thing I've found so far is to buy a couple ice bags (like for an injury) from walgreens or walmart, and keep em filled with ice. No matter where I am, I can get ice, either from the aircraft or the hotel ice machine. It's a little higher maintenance than gel packs, but you can always count on it.

+1 on the Aerocast bag. Cooler and a laptop case combined. Made by an expressjet fo too. Aerocast have good flight cases also.

Latest resources

Back