Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Homework required

G100driver said:
You also forgot the airplane stranding you at least once a year with a slat and or flap failure ....

Homework for you G100driver. The Sabreliner 65 does not have slats. The older models of Sabre's have them (exceptions to that rule). In addition to the lack of slats on the -65, the wing was redesigned by Raisbeck (lower ref speeds / major drag reduction at high speed), and the flap system is quite effective and reliable. I (my experience) have not had a single flap system issue (8 years with this airplane). In addition, when I flew for a company with 4 Sabre -65's we never had a dispatch issue because of the flap system.

The older Sabre's (several models) have the airload slats you are refering to. The flap systems on some of those models have had issues.

Regards Sabresaurus.........................

Sabresaurus said:
Homework for you G100driver. The Sabreliner 65 does not have slats. The older models of Sabre's have them (exceptions to that rule). In addition to the lack of slats on the -65, the wing was redesigned by Raisbeck (lower ref speeds / major drag reduction at high speed), and the flap system is quite effective and reliable. I (my experience) have not had a single flap system issue (8 years with this airplane). In addition, when I flew for a company with 4 Sabre -65's we never had a dispatch issue because of the flap system.

The older Sabre's (several models) have the airload slats you are refering to. The flap systems on some of those models have had issues.
I think that he was referring to the Astra's slat/flap system. I've already posted my thoughts on that.

Just wondering, does the 65 have a belly mounted speed brake?

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
I think that he was referring to the Astra's slat/flap system. I've already posted my thoughts on that.

Just wondering, does the 65 have a belly mounted speed brake?

'Sled

All the -65's have the speed brake, whether or not it is operational is another question. Their is an STC which reactivate's the speed brake (80K). The money gets you the paperwork and hydraulic fluid. Pretty sad. Another feature is lead skid plate underneath the aircraft which is for gear up landings (greatly reduces damage to underneath / flaps in the event of gear up. It was installed & required for egress for the military in the event you geared up and needed a egress point underneath the aircraft.

Adios Sabresaurus

ProfATP,

If we buy a Falcon, you can talk to it.

Thanks everyone for their input, I now have something to take to the boss.

G100Driver, Leadsled let me know you were talking about the Astra flaps / slats. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Sabresaurus

Sabresaurus said:
Another feature is lead skid plate underneath the aircraft which is for gear up landings (greatly reduces damage to underneath / flaps in the event of gear up. It was installed & required for egress for the military in the event you geared up and needed a egress point underneath the aircraft.
I believe that the Saberliner was designed to compete for a military contract back in the late 50's and early 60's. I heard that the reason why the Saberliners have the cabin step was to comply with the military's water ditching requirements.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
I believe that the Saberliner was designed to compete for a military contract back in the late 50's and early 60's. I heard that the reason why the Saberliners have the cabin step was to comply with the military's water ditching requirements.

'Sled

You are correct Sled. The Sabreliner and the Jet Star (memory serves me correctly?) were both competing for the ULX, UBX or UX (can't remember) contract with the military. North American and Lockheed both won contracts but for different purposes. I do not recall the requirements the government requested but I thought it had to do with designing / manufacturing transport trainer? The Sabre's bottom edge of the airstair door is upward on the waterline of the fuselage. You are correct, it was designed for ditching purposes. If you look at the stall fence on the right hand side of the aircraft there is a hole in the stall fence. It is used to connect the life raft rope to the aircraft as it is floating. I have heard of pictures of these aircraft doing just that in a salt water bay in the Phillipines or Guam. Apparently these hogs do swim. Can't remember where the pix are located on the internet.

Regards........Saurus

Who Was It That Said You Can't Have Everything?

The -650s have a large baggage compartment in the tail, no nose baggage like on the -500s. And they can haul a $hit ton, I've never seen a III get close on weight. It goes fast and goes high, but runway performance on a hot/high gross day leaves something to be desired- even at sea level. Some trips in the summer leaving places like PDK or TTN and you'll see runway restrictions creeping up on you. Going into Tahoe or Pitkin Co. this airplane definately gets you there- but don't plan on leaving there with anything else than the boss and his arm candy. Cessna really missed the boat when they didn't give it leading edge devices. They eventually learned their lesson and gave the X leading edge slats and that solved some of the -650s performance problems. It eats the gas down low, but once it gets high you can see .80 burning 700-800 pph per side. The IIIs can go up to .85 with the wings buzzing, the VIIs are limited to .83 because of their windshield. Biggest problem with the -650s? They can't make Hawai'i. Only one -650 ever went to hawai'i, and I think their ass cheeks were picking up the cockpit seats by the time they touched down. Book says you can do it in long range cruise, but you are getting -500 type TAS and the flight times are ridiculous- 7 or 8 hours at those speeds, even from San Francisco. I've been asked to do it several times now, and each time I look at it- it's just a little too scary. And I'm pretty damn bold. Maintenance is considerable on the -650 as well, plenty of small annoying stuff that keeps breaking. But nobody can argue with Cessna's customer support and Citation Service Centers. I think they are the best in the business. Keep up with your phases and know your mx schedule to avoid downing the aircraft suddenly. I agree with most of the other posters that the Astra is probably the best airplane for bang/buck! I've mentioned this a lot when I was flying corporate full time... never saw one in the hangar though. I've heard FA-20 and N-265 are definately overlooked and under utlized assets in this size/speed/range category. Check out Business and Commercial Aviation magazine and their annual cost analysis information on each aircraft type/mission for the best comparison. You'll actually get a few surprises. Ever think about a Westwind? Heard some good things, some bad things- but I'd think they have to be in the same ballpark. If you ever need anyone to fly a -500 or -650 just let me know. I've got a great daily rate!
Fly safe...

To further muddy the waters, it was because of that contract with the military and the Sabre, that allowed Israeli Aircraft Industries to buy the Westwind design and the rest is history.... The westwind (1124)and the Sabre were deemed a conflict of interest in the bidding process so they shed the 1124 to Ben Gurion.

Latest resources

Back