best approach in aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sedona, Arizona

Landing at Sedona, Arizona is interesting. Breathtaking scenery.The airport is situated on a plateau in a sort of valley surrounded by mountains. It's like landing on an aircraft carrier. It also has an NDB approach where the IAF is also the FAF and you have to go outbound, execute the procedure turn and descend to mins. The winds can get squirrely on a warmer day, so the approach puts your NDB tracking abilities to the test.

Last edited:
"Birthplace of the Wind"

I'm disappointed nobody mentioned Adak--with a tailwind and rising terrain in three quads...

I have to agree with the Sedona post. I used to live in Phoenix, and almost weekly we would leave IWA for SEZ in a 172. The coolest thing about it was in the afternoon that tired old 172 would hardly climb, but as you got to the north and hit the thermals, it was nothing to hit 12000 feet while level. Same thing on the way back, a few times we avoided ATC altogether as we were well above PHX class B.

TurboS7 said:
Shoot-not even Alaskan pilots get out there.

Well, back when I was last an Alaskan pilot, we had one route that went: ANC, Dutch Harbor, Adak, back to Dutch, then back to Anchorage. The most amazing part of that particular run was how much the wx at DUT had changed the second time in from when we were there earlier in the day.

But, it sure was a lot of fun!! (Usually:) )

Anyone been to Brookings, Oregon? How about Weed, California? South Lake Tahoe is pretty cool, too.

SESM *cannot* be a real airport. I made it to the rim with a 172, stalled, bounced down the side...gave me enough a/s to make a power off landing.

SESM is real, and is recreated very accurately on Microsoft FS2002. I couldn't believe it either, do a google search. You can find pictures of the real thing. It's built in an extinct volcano.

jergar999, you got a link for pictures? I've heard too its real...try getting the 727 out of there....hehe.

T-hawk

If you like Sedona and Catalina and the like....meet another close cousin. I had the pleasure of flying into Jackson County, NC (24A)a couple times this weekend. Situated on the top of a leveled peak in the Smokies...not as high as the others but when it's windy....just don't go in there with lazy feet. Very friendly people on the ground and excellent views. Runway has recently been repaved too.............great for making those "VFR on top" landings when the valleys fog up. :D

T-hawk

Latest resources

Back