Best and worst airline uniforms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jetstream said:
The irony I see here is that at the same time we pilots are asking to be treated and compensated like the professionals we believe we are, we also want to dress like its casual Friday. Like it or not, when you walk through the airport people judge you in part by the way you look.
Jetstream,

I agree with you. My Grandfather used to tell me how he would always look a the way the pilot's wore their uniforms. Were their shirts dry cleaned or ironed, shoes polished, pants not faded, etc.

When I first started flying, I used to machine wash my shirts and pants to save a few bucks. I then realized that my shirts began to look worn out, and even a little yellow in the pits.

So I decided to buy new shirts and pants at the end of last summer. I send my uniform to the cleaners now, and the shirts and pants look brand new every time I go to work.

Somebody even left a shoe shiner in the crew room in ATL for the ASA and Comair folks to use. Maybe there is something to dressing the part and wanting to be treated as a professional.

SWA/FO said:
You guys must go to bed early. The worst uniforms are Airborne Express (unless they have changed). They have (had) gray pants, yuck! and they probably have to pay for them.
Yeah, we're right there tied with UPS for the worst uniforms. I'm still amazed when we walk into a hotel and the desk clerk asks which airline we're with. How many other airline crews do they see with gray uniforms?

The first uniform is free (jacket, coat, two pants, hat and brass). Replacements are up to us.

No disrespect to the Delta boys,.............. but they look like italian submarine commanders in their uniforms.

ABX has those bad gray colors.

I guess UAL has the best in my opinoin.

PBRstreetgang said:
Newsflash: The best uniform is the one issued by a company that is not going into bankruptcy.

I believe we have a winner! Well said.

Speaking of Delta's uniform, I heard that as part of their cost-cutting they're cutting the blazer from double-breasted to single-.

And speaking of UAL's, I hate the epaulets. You have to squint to see the darned stripes.

I also can't stand blazers where the armstripes only go around halfway.

Allright, I'm opinioned out for now.

If you want to look like sheeeeet-UPS

If you want to feel like sheeeeet-Any legacy carrier!

TheDogsBollocks said:
If you want to look like sheeeeet-UPS

If you want to feel like sheeeeet-Any legacy carrier!
I guess I'll continue to look like sheeeeet! A small price to pay to work for a company that makes nearly $4 BILLION a year in profits!

I've always been partial to TWA's uniforms, especially the hat brass. No changes to the uniform for about 40 years, and still it was timeless until the end.

As for worst uniforms, right now I'd have ABEX takes the cake, but that may change soon. If the new hat brass and wings we're soon getting at XJT look as bad as the new IDs (that **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** RJ logo) I think we'll have a new winner.

Best uniform I can remember was the old Braniff Black uniform with black stripes. Looked more like a business suit and not a costume. That was many many years ago though. Question for the frieght dogs, why do you wear a uniform at all? Seems it would be great to wears levis tennis shoes and a T-Shirt.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back