• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Berry Aviation, TX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lot of what Tarheel said is right and good point about SWA!

Diver Driver and 1Flier........WHERE DID YOU NOT SEE THAT I AGREED WITH YOU!!!!!....
....most 135 companies have some kinda contract, regionals low pay, and corporate if your lucky....but usually requires a move at the very least and 91 departments will keep you away from home alot.
and SPELLED OUT DIFFERENT OPTIONS....basically I covered 121,135, and 91 is there some other fraction I should be inlightened to????

One thing I did fail to mention....I can speak for it as I have over 1500 hours doing it....Cargo BABY!!!!!! You wanna appreciate aviation and the aspect of flying a well maintained airplane(regionals and corporate)...then get in an airplane built in the late 60's and has so many MEL's you think its wall paper and there is your 3rd option!

Point is contracts suck....IF YOU SIGN ONE....THEN DON'T CRY!!!!!! They are the only ones you found that would hire you with low time....doing what you wanted to do. You don't have to take it or sign it....unfortunately for the majority of.....it was something we had to do in order to move on!

Building time is also paying dues...if time isn't a concern then pay and equipment probably isn't either!

Best of Luck,

Tex

So I guess all the men and women at SWA are idiots for paying for their type ratings in the 737? In reality then under this arguement aren't the pilots there PFT? I mean they are required to shell out a lot for their type before groundschool, or in the old days before interviewing! Berry is not like certain other operations (both 121 and 135) where you can pay a lot of money to sit in the right seat. The groundschool is tough. As I was told, it is the same as upgrade training and you have to be prepared to pass. A pulse won't hack it, you will fail or washout. In fact one candidate about three months ago did due to lack of skills. I know it is frowned upon but it's what you make of it. Besides, I won't complain. I knew what I was getting into and I have the weekends off. I have friends at the regionals who can't say that currently. While it is not the best, it certainly is not the worst either.

Wow, did you really just compare PFT at Barely Aviation with SWA??? If you work there then you have spent way to much time under Mr Berry's desk, if not then you just don't know what the hell your talking about. They should pay you $10,000 dollars to go through training to fly those pieces of sh!t. I count myself lucky that I got out alive. Its not bad if you can stay away from HYI (San Marcos) and all the politics and crap. But the maintanence was atrocious, we were lucky if one set of flight instruments and the nosewheel steering worked. Unless you have no other choice I would definately stay away.

Wow, did you really just compare PFT at Barely Aviation with SWA??? If you work there then you have spent way to much time under Mr Berry's desk, if not then you just don't know what the hell your talking about. They should pay you $10,000 dollars to go through training to fly those pieces of sh!t. I count myself lucky that I got out alive. Its not bad if you can stay away from HYI (San Marcos) and all the politics and crap. But the maintanence was atrocious, we were lucky if one set of flight instruments and the nosewheel steering worked. Unless you have no other choice I would definately stay away.

Watery I am not comparing the two companies at all. Second, why flame? Typical unhappy and negative response. Just because someone else has a different opinion of things doesn't mean they are wrong, dumb or stupid. Third I have not spent ANY TIME under Sonny's desk. I am out in CA far, far away from HYI. Fourth, it isn't 10,000 so get your fact right. Fifth, if you bothered to actually read what I wrote you would notice that I said it wasn't the best but isn't the worst either. Sure there are mx issues, but what company doesn't have them? And I can think of a few 135's that are far worse than BYA.

Oh yeah, I also worked for SWA and am pretty familiar with their culture and spoke with a lot of my colleagues who are pilots there. They were supportive and not condensending. In fact they all wished me the best so that I may be able to return to the right seat. We all have to start somewhere. I am glad you "made it out alive." I'm also glad I dont have to fly with you either. I respect your opinion, not everyone has a perfect experience with where they work. But at the same time, your response is about typical for this site. Negative, this place sucks, low pay, don't go there. Is there anyplace that's worth working for? Because do a search on this forum and about 80% is negative about a lot of companies from 135 to 121. Like I said originally, it is what you make of it.

I guess I'd be giddy as a school girl too if someone gave me a turboprop to fly from the left seat if I only had 1200 hrs. Since you don't have an ATP it means you are flying a II( sorry , those things are even crumbier than the III's).

There are two types of people at Berry, those who have something on their record and they will be there forever, and those who don't realize how bad it is and that anywhere and I do mean anywhere is better. I work with people who think my company is bad now, and the worst day at this place is a dream compared to the best day at Berry. And in case you think I'm just angry and bitter, I can give you the names of a half a dozen Berry survivors who will tell you its even worse than I have said.

P.S. I hope you aren't flying the one that had the double engine flameout... 228 I think?

I guess I'd be giddy as a school girl too if someone gave me a turboprop to fly from the left seat if I only had 1200 hrs. Since you don't have an ATP it means you are flying a II( sorry , those things are even crumbier than the III's).

There are two types of people at Berry, those who have something on their record and they will be there forever, and those who don't realize how bad it is and that anywhere and I do mean anywhere is better. I work with people who think my company is bad now, and the worst day at this place is a dream compared to the best day at Berry. And in case you think I'm just angry and bitter, I can give you the names of a half a dozen Berry survivors who will tell you its even worse than I have said.

P.S. I hope you aren't flying the one that had the double engine flameout... 228 I think?

We only have Metro IIIs converted to (or pure) 16,000 pounds with a 14,500 in reserve. Second, none of our Captains are "lifers" and none have anything on their record disqualifying them from other employment. One elects to stay because it provides more time with his family. Another will be moving on the majors within the year and the third has the option to become an IP for the military if he so chooses. All three are stand up individuals and are pleasure to fly with. So respectfully, please don't dare say they're hacks becuase they elect to fly at Berry. We all have different goals we want to accomplish, so don't insult me by saying I don't know any better. Just as I won't fault you for making the career choices you've made. We are all different and we all take different paths.

Your experience at this company is what you make of it. If you have a poor attitude then chances are your experience is a poor one. I say that because all of the guys I fly with have good attitudes and we all get along. It makes the run more bearable I guess. And finally, I don't care to discuss this issue on this post any further. If anything, I feel sorry for someone who has to consider himself a "Captain Babysitter." Must be tough dealing with all those 500 hour wunderkinds or MAP-D grads in the jet huh? Best of luck to you. Because with your sour attitude on aviation you'll most likely need it.

tar heel,
you may only have metro iiis in san diego, but there are enough metro ii death traps flying dcs in other parts of the country. while my time with berry was all in all a pleasant experience, i had the unfortunate opportunity to spend 10 months with one of your lifer capts. while "lifer" certainly does not apply to all at berry, there are definately a few. fortunately for berry, and their employees, 228 has retired! on a separate note, those paying for training there could put their money to better use else where. while the training at berry is superior to most other metro outfits, its not worth putting up your own $. good luck tar heel, looks like berry is in need of a couple capts out there.

could someone who is currently at Berry give me the scoop on what's really going on with the run out of San Diego. The good and the bad. Is the maintenance there decent now?

We only have Metro IIIs converted to (or pure) 16,000 pounds with a 14,500 in reserve. Second, none of our Captains are "lifers" and none have anything on their record disqualifying them from other employment. One elects to stay because it provides more time with his family. Another will be moving on the majors within the year and the third has the option to become an IP for the military if he so chooses. All three are stand up individuals and are pleasure to fly with. So respectfully, please don't dare say they're hacks becuase they elect to fly at Berry. We all have different goals we want to accomplish, so don't insult me by saying I don't know any better. Just as I won't fault you for making the career choices you've made. We are all different and we all take different paths.

Your experience at this company is what you make of it. If you have a poor attitude then chances are your experience is a poor one. I say that because all of the guys I fly with have good attitudes and we all get along. It makes the run more bearable I guess. And finally, I don't care to discuss this issue on this post any further. If anything, I feel sorry for someone who has to consider himself a "Captain Babysitter." Must be tough dealing with all those 500 hour wunderkinds or MAP-D grads in the jet huh? Best of luck to you. Because with your sour attitude on aviation you'll most likely need it.

FINALLY...someone who gets it! I didn't think common sense was permitted on this board. Nice to see I was wrong.

Skycam wait till you get a real job. Then you will get it.

She probably can't get a real job, thats why she works for Berry.

j/k skycam don't get your panties all bunched up!

Latest resources

Back