• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Berry Aviation, TX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hnp, my sentiments exactly. I have no complaints about them and really enjoyed my time there.

labbutt, I saw some of the couriers in the sort the other night.

PFT dont do it

The Chief Pilot called me a month ago and it smells like a lavatory that has never been cleaned. Applied for Captain he called me for a f/o position. The CP remarks "We can get you a fast upgrade because of your total time since you are under 1000 multi we cant get you insured as a Captain. We ask you to pay for your SIC training on the Metro and the Dornier and we have found that it works out well since the f/o is financially involved with the company." Now no has already popped into my mind at this point and he then asked if I was interested in a Dornier slot since one is based in my hometown. Out of curisotiy I asked what is the training cost? "Well its 24,000 for the training , think you can swing it?" I even asked if a type rating was included, he said no even though the training is the same minus 2 manuevers. Plus, we have had some leave to go somewhere else after the type. It just takes too much time and paperwork to go after someone that signed a promissary note" I laughed alot that day, $24,000 upfront for training and no type, you have got to be kidding. The metro was like 6,500, but still where are you going to get an F/O or anyone to agree with that when they can go to a regional and make better pay with paid training. I would say dont go because PFT is not worth it first fo all and until we start saying no as pilots, companies are going to feel they can do it. My 1st 135 job initally asked me to pay for training and I said no thanks, not doing it. The company called me back 15 minutes later saying we will pay for the training if you are willing to do a 12 month agreement. No problem then, but PFT just say no.

Is it getting that hard to build time. There will always be idiots that will pay, and they are the ones that make our lives difficult.

The CP remarks "We can get you a fast upgrade because of your total time since you are under 1000 multi we cant get you insured as a Captain. We ask you to pay for your SIC training on the Metro and the Dornier and we have found that it works out well since the f/o is financially involved with the company."
Sorry to bust your bubble 1Flier but your gonna have to pay somewhere....most 135 companies have some kinda contract, regionals low pay, and corporate if your lucky....but usually requires a move at the very least and 91 departments will keep you away from home alot. I spoke to the CP and that is the mins...just no way around...but there are so many jobs openings right now you could get what your looking for!

To answer Diver Driver....sounds like a good outfit! If you want to build PIC multi turbine quickly....one of the jobs that they are hiring for is out of Omaha, NE. You fly T-TH every week and are off the rest of the time flying about 60-70 hours a month. The runs are scheduled and to AFB's all over the midwest and northwest. They are hiring into the Dornier but it looks like your seat lock would be damn near permanent...if you wanna go that route there are regionals hiring with 500/50 mins!

Good Luck,

Tex

Sorry to bust your bubble 1Flier but your gonna have to pay somewhere....most 135 companies have some kinda contract, regionals low pay, and corporate if your lucky....but usually requires a move at the very least and 91 departments will keep you away from home alot. I spoke to the CP and that is the mins...just no way around...but there are so many jobs openings right now you could get what your looking for!

To answer Diver Driver....sounds like a good outfit! If you want to build PIC multi turbine quickly....one of the jobs that they are hiring for is out of Omaha, NE. You fly T-TH every week and are off the rest of the time flying about 60-70 hours a month. The runs are scheduled and to AFB's all over the midwest and northwest. They are hiring into the Dornier but it looks like your seat lock would be dang near permanent...if you wanna go that route there are regionals hiring with 500/50 mins!

Good Luck,

Tex

Hey Tex I have no problem with contracts and prorated notes if you leave before the end, thats acceptable, I am talking about shelling out 24K for company required training for an 18K a year job. Especially when the regionals are hiring for the same or better pay without you having to pay them an absurd amount to work for them. Pisspoor pay is going to happen as long as there are pilots willing to accept it and companies that feel pilots come a dime a dozen. However PFT is just total #$ for something that is part of the company training. I understand you may pay personally with frequent time from home or low pay, but I am just saying we should not have to pay for our jobs beyond obtaining our certificates. Safe flying.

Hey Tex I have no problem with contracts and prorated notes if you leave before the end, thats acceptable, I am talking about shelling out 24K for company required training for an 18K a year job. Especially when the regionals are hiring for the same or better pay without you having to pay them an absurd amount to work for them. Pisspoor pay is going to happen as long as there are pilots willing to accept it and companies that feel pilots come a dime a dozen. However PFT is just total #$ for something that is part of the company training. I understand you may pay personally with frequent time from home or low pay, but I am just saying we should not have to pay for our jobs beyond obtaining our certificates. Safe flying.

I completely agree with 1flier... I personally don't have a wealty family that I just "borrow" 24K so I can get a job (some people out there have that luxury but I sure don't), a bank loan?, credit card? Sure, there's always options but then you get paid 18K???

Personally I want a good company with benefits, good equipment, and opportunities to upgrade as captain and better pay and of course adquire good experience. The flight time will always acumulate, sooner or later.
Most companies have good reasons to have PFT, mainly to cover their a$$ financially, specially when they invest X amount of money for a new hire's training and a few months and few hundred hours later this new hire leaves them for a different job. :mad:

Take care out there...

Is it getting that hard to build time. There will always be idiots that will pay, and they are the ones that make our lives difficult.

So I guess all the men and women at SWA are idiots for paying for their type ratings in the 737? In reality then under this arguement aren't the pilots there PFT? I mean they are required to shell out a lot for their type before groundschool, or in the old days before interviewing! Berry is not like certain other operations (both 121 and 135) where you can pay a lot of money to sit in the right seat. The groundschool is tough. As I was told, it is the same as upgrade training and you have to be prepared to pass. A pulse won't hack it, you will fail or washout. In fact one candidate about three months ago did due to lack of skills. I know it is frowned upon but it's what you make of it. Besides, I won't complain. I knew what I was getting into and I have the weekends off. I have friends at the regionals who can't say that currently. While it is not the best, it certainly is not the worst either.

Latest resources

Back