• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Benefits 135 vs part 91?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ditto...the only positive I have ever heard is either; tax break for owner, or helps lower operating costs.

while I have no clue on the former, the latter only seems to work if youhave a new airplane under warranty.

...just my observations in 12 years of flying for a few different 135 operators, your mileage may vary, shake well before using, and do not leave in direct sunlight ;)

What are (if any) the benefits of going 135?

1. Huge tax savings for boss.
2. Depending on management company, huge savings on fuel, hanger, ramp, training, hotels etc.
3. Potential extra income for boss and crew. We fly very little outside charter but if we do boss splits profits with crew 70/30.

In 2012 our aircraft was 99% business use because of the way seat miles are computed under 135 vs 91.

91 vs 135? Depends on your boss, management company, and the type of management you are under.

Your friends will stop constantly asking you for a job.
That's some funny sh*t!

Doing a full six day recurrent with check ride every six months is clearly inferior to a five day progressive pt 91 ride, however.
Are you even required to take recurrent "checkrides" under part 91?? Or is "training" all that's required? I honestly don't know, as I've never worked Pt. 91..

Are you even required to take recurrent "checkrides" under part 91?? Or is "training" all that's required? I honestly don't know, as I've never worked Pt. 91..

Most insurances require training every year, there is no actual checkride, however Flightsafety describes it as a "progressive" check....but nothing like 135 ;)

For any "Rich" guy who buys an airplane and puts in in a 135 to "help offset the cost. Dont buy an airplane. Youre not rich and cant afford to own an airplane. An owner who owns an airplane and puts it in a 135 will almost ALWAYS in the end loose money. No control over your airplane, pilots or maintenance. 135 do everything to "mask" the joy of owning an airplane making it seems its seemless and simple. truth is most operators screw the owners over and over again. For pilots 135 is a great way to build time and learn how to deal with all types of clientle and dealing with ALL types of pilots. But in the end I dont think in my 20 years of aviation I have ever met a pilot who wants to retire from a 135 operator. 91 jobs are out there. Make that your "goal"....

I did 135 in my early years. Met lots of "superstars" got some occasional tips. But It gets old very quick. Again, great way to get your foot in the door. Get experience and get out.

For any "Rich" guy who buys an airplane and puts in in a 135 to "help offset the cost. Dont buy an airplane. Youre not rich and cant afford to own an airplane. An owner who owns an airplane and puts it in a 135 will almost ALWAYS in the end loose money. No control over your airplane, pilots or maintenance. 135 do everything to "mask" the joy of owning an airplane making it seems its seemless and simple. truth is most operators screw the owners over and over again. For pilots 135 is a great way to build time and learn how to deal with all types of clientle and dealing with ALL types of pilots. But in the end I dont think in my 20 years of aviation I have ever met a pilot who wants to retire from a 135 operator. 91 jobs are out there. Make that your "goal"....
My rich guy operates 135 because its so clean from a tax perspective. He picks and chooses who charters his airplane. Flown one charter since the first of the year and it was an owner referral. He looks at charter as lending your wife out to a rock band for the week-end. I agree that if you are chartering your aircraft because you can't or don't want to afford it, beware.

My rich guy operates 135 because its so clean from a tax perspective. He picks and chooses who charters his airplane. Flown one charter since the first of the year and it was an owner referral. He looks at charter as lending your wife out to a rock band for the week-end. I agree that if you are chartering your aircraft because you can't or don't want to afford it, beware.

I have a friend who worked for a private guy who had his plane on a 135 (Management Company) for those reasons. In the end the owners does not have 100% control over his airplane and operations. Pilots were required to operate the aircraft according to the 135 Operations Manual which sometimes came in conflict of how the Boss wanted things done and also they had a cap on how much to pay the pilots. The Boss had to pay the difference as a "Bonus" check. He in the end was let go from the 135 company because they cornered the boss and gave him no options. So the boss not wanting to deal with nonsense had to let his good friend and Chief Pilot go after 10 years of service!!

I have a friend who worked for a private guy who had his plane on a 135 (Management Company) for those reasons. In the end the owners does not have 100% control over his airplane and operations. Pilots were required to operate the aircraft according to the 135 Operations Manual which sometimes came in conflict of how the Boss wanted things done and also they had a cap on how much to pay the pilots. The Boss had to pay the difference as a "Bonus" check. He in the end was let go from the 135 company because they cornered the boss and gave him no options. So the boss not wanting to deal with nonsense had to let his good friend and Chief Pilot go after 10 years of service!!

They set up the relationship with the management company wrong in the first place. The Chief pilot should have been the customer, and the management company shouldn't have even had the owners phone number. If the management company wasn't able to work with the Chief Pilot or pay the salaries the owner set, there are plenty of other management companies that would have. There will always be someone who wants to get between you and your owner. If your owner trusts his Chief Pilot, that should never happen. It's just as easy to change management companies as it is to change pilots.

You can be charter managed. We work for the owner, are paid, by the owner, and set the conditions of trips the management company solicits. We can accept or turn it down. We operate under their GOM, but when it's just us and the boss on board........, well you know. It's a sweet deal. Fully managed is a different story.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back