• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bend Over C.O.M.A.I.R!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"The highest unit revenues were reported by network carrier US Airways and regional carriers Comair and American Eagle Airlines.

Comair doesn't really have passenger revenue per se, they get paid by Delta, not the passengers. Even if the flight is empty, DAL pays the same as when it's full.

The bottom line is RJs are very expensive to operate on a per seat mile basis and that cost is paid by the network carriers. Comair receives a high level of compensation from DAL for every flight, hence the high revenue.

That's one of the reasons CMR's schedule is being reduced, it makes no economic sense for DAL to continue to contract out the same number of high CASM and high fuel burning RJ seats as it did when fuel was under $30/barrel.

In Ground school they are still hiring in JAN and FEB for new hires and plan to hire as many as possible for the next 6 months. Think they were blowing smoke your way.

Not to change the subject, but the other day I was in CVG and just about every Comair guy I passed gave me a look of disgust as I passed, kinda like the Delta pilots look at you. Just wondering why? I work for ASA, not Chiniqua, or Freedumb, so why the hostility? We did not sell you guys out, if anything it was the other way around, so again, WTF?
I go through CVG very often and have quite the opposite experience. Perhaps its just you they don't like.

Try doing like I do when I'm there: walk around with a genuine smile on your face, speak nicely to everyone you come across, make the effort to start a friendly conversation with them and have some empathy for them.

Not sympathy or pity, but empathy. They've had it pretty rough for a while now.

Frankly, I get far more attitude from fellow ASA pilots than I do any other group besides Delta. Maybe its you who has the problem.....

Please verify, when does this occur? I think I have a scheduled deadhead on Big Sky in Jan.

The drag racers (big sky) in Bos are done on Jan 8th. On the 700/900 we don't do a ton of flying into BOS but everytime I have, we almost hit one of their planes, they seem not to follow the lines on the ramp.

Last edited:
Comair CR7 ship numbers start with '10.' Shortly after ASA took delivery of those aircraft they adopted their own ship numbers (three digits starting with 7, I believe), so the only way to tell if it was an old CMR bird from the outside is to observe the tail number.

Your history is a little off. Skywest took delivery of about 15 aircraft at some point early in the decade, that belonged to Comair, I believe this was a result of the strike. Comair ended up taking delivery of about the same number of aircraft that belonged to Skywest. At the beginning of bankruptcy, Delta decided it had to get it's ducks in a row and initiated the trade in order to get the airplanes to their proper owner. It was a one for one trade or at least very close to a one for one trade. I have seen many 'SK' airplanes at Comair and many 'CA' airplanes at Skywest. In this case the tail number reflects who took initial delivery of the aircraft and not the owner (or lease holder).

Shortly before bankruptcy Delta agreed to sell ASA to Skywest. As part of that deal Delta agreed to give Skywest a certain amount of additional flying in the future. When it came time to award that flying Delta RFPed nearly all of Comair's current flying. Since Delta owns and controls all of Comair's business it decided a good way to pay Skywest it's due flying was to take 15 -700s from Comair. This benefited Delta in several ways since they also happened to be negotiating with Comair's pilots for concessions.

Which brings us to why a Comair pilot may be a little annoyed by the sight of a 70 seat aircraft with 'CA' on its tail and 'ASA' on it's nose. As a result of Delta giving those 15 -700s to Skywest (who gave them to ASA) 18 year Captains went back on reserve and several hundred junior pilots were furloughed (myself included). As someone who has frequently swore under my breath (or maybe not so 'under my breath') at the sight of said airplanes I can tell you I never cursed ASA pilots or even Skywest management, but the Turkeys in charge at Delta and Comair who initiated and allowed the transfer to happen.

In the future when you see an upset Comair pilot please understand his distress is not directed at you (unless you are Delta or Comair management). Calling Comair a Comair pilot a "nimrod" or a "prick" isn't constructive and frankly is childish.

I didn't say N numbers, I said ship numbers. All of ASA's 70 seaters are number 701, 702 etc up to 761 (they skipped a few). The Comair planes that we've 'taken' are 317, 331, 354, 355, 390 etc. The tail numbers are also 317CA, 331CA, 354CA.

As for the history, it doesn't matter, many planes have been moved around between DCI carriers. I didn't participate in that based on my wages (some can't say that). Therefore, my point still stands, don't look at us and give us crap as if we made the move to screw over Comair.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back