Bend Over C.O.M.A.I.R!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahh. Point taken.

I was thinking... the looks probably came from seeing the silver on your uniform, and assuming it was Shanequa. I avoid CVG like the plague. It's a real downer over there.

It's pretty bad when you can drive a company into the ground and the top half of the seniority list doesn't budge.

Does anyone honestly think that this company could, or will be turned around? I'm starting to think that it's not even possible.

Not to change the subject, but the other day I was in CVG and just about every Comair guy I passed gave me a look of disgust as I passed, kinda like the Delta pilots look at you. Just wondering why? I work for ASA, not Chiniqua, or Freedumb, so why the hostility? We did not sell you guys out, if anything it was the other way around, so again, WTF?[/quote

Does it really matter? Just be happy you don't work here.

Help me with a little math. But can 4000 hours be made up by parking 25 aircraft. I have been reading the rumors about the aircraft to be parked and the number 25 keeps coming up.

How many pilots does it take to man 25 aircraft? Is it 13 per aircraft per day or something like that?

It's pretty bad when you can drive a company into the ground and the top half of the seniority list doesn't budge.

Does anyone honestly think that this company could, or will be turned around? I'm starting to think that it's not even possible.

Just like any airline, there are numerous pricks out there that think their s*&t don't stink. They probably thought you were Freedom. Just ignore them. But to get back on topic.

To respond to your comment Jockey. There are way too many guys aged 35-50 that have convinced themselves that Northern Kentucky was a great place to settle down and have absolutely no ambition beyond that. They'll be here til the day the doors close. The only hope that senior FOs have is that many, many mid range captains get that 1000 hours or whatever and bail. With the huge hour reductions and the lose of 40+ airplanes, the only vague possibility of upgrade is massive attrition. Fortunately many have seen the writing on the wall.

My favorite story from CVG was as I was sitting in one of our ASA 70 seaters, waiting for pax, out comes this puffy chested Comair Captain. He looks over to our plane and I watch him shake his head, as if to say, I'm gonna be pissed if that's one of 'our' old 70 seaters. So he walks down the right side of us to check our tail number (here's a tip to this nimrod, ASA ship numbers generally start with 7 and it's on the nose of the aircraft, so yes, we were in an 'original' ASA 70 seater, Comair birds start with a 3, at least the ones we've 'taken'), anyway, after he satisfies himself that we're not whoring it up in an old Comair plane, he smugly walks up the steps on to AN OLD SKYWEST 50 BEATER! Hahh. Pr1ck.
That is how most of the Capts are at Comair, they do no wrong, but everyone else has never done right.

Comair....

You think they are bad now-they were absolutely the most arrogant, full-of-themselves jerkwads (other than General Lee) before DAL bought them. Some have not improved much. They have always had a strange culture up there.
-You know you are in trouble when you start believing your own BS!

(here's a tip to this nimrod, ASA ship numbers generally start with 7 and it's on the nose of the aircraft, so yes, we were in an 'original' ASA 70 seater, Comair birds start with a 3, at least the ones we've 'taken')

I believe that all Comair 70 seaters start with a 1 and have 5 numbers in the ship's number. The 50s start with a 7 and are four numbers long.

Unless things have changed in the last 9 months, no Comair ship number ever started with a 3.

My favorite story from CVG was as I was sitting in one of our ASA 70 seaters, waiting for pax, out comes this puffy chested Comair Captain. He looks over to our plane and I watch him shake his head, as if to say, I'm gonna be pissed if that's one of 'our' old 70 seaters. So he walks down the right side of us to check our tail number (here's a tip to this nimrod, ASA ship numbers generally start with 7 and it's on the nose of the aircraft, so yes, we were in an 'original' ASA 70 seater, Comair birds start with a 3, at least the ones we've 'taken'), anyway, after he satisfies himself that we're not whoring it up in an old Comair plane, he smugly walks up the steps on to AN OLD SKYWEST 50 BEATER! Hahh. Pr1ck.

Comair CR7 ship numbers start with '10.' Shortly after ASA took delivery of those aircraft they adopted their own ship numbers (three digits starting with 7, I believe), so the only way to tell if it was an old CMR bird from the outside is to observe the tail number.

Your history is a little off. Skywest took delivery of about 15 aircraft at some point early in the decade, that belonged to Comair, I believe this was a result of the strike. Comair ended up taking delivery of about the same number of aircraft that belonged to Skywest. At the beginning of bankruptcy, Delta decided it had to get it's ducks in a row and initiated the trade in order to get the airplanes to their proper owner. It was a one for one trade or at least very close to a one for one trade. I have seen many 'SK' airplanes at Comair and many 'CA' airplanes at Skywest. In this case the tail number reflects who took initial delivery of the aircraft and not the owner (or lease holder).

Shortly before bankruptcy Delta agreed to sell ASA to Skywest. As part of that deal Delta agreed to give Skywest a certain amount of additional flying in the future. When it came time to award that flying Delta RFPed nearly all of Comair's current flying. Since Delta owns and controls all of Comair's business it decided a good way to pay Skywest it's due flying was to take 15 -700s from Comair. This benefited Delta in several ways since they also happened to be negotiating with Comair's pilots for concessions.

Which brings us to why a Comair pilot may be a little annoyed by the sight of a 70 seat aircraft with 'CA' on its tail and 'ASA' on it's nose. As a result of Delta giving those 15 -700s to Skywest (who gave them to ASA) 18 year Captains went back on reserve and several hundred junior pilots were furloughed (myself included). As someone who has frequently swore under my breath (or maybe not so 'under my breath') at the sight of said airplanes I can tell you I never cursed ASA pilots or even Skywest management, but the Turkeys in charge at Delta and Comair who initiated and allowed the transfer to happen.

In the future when you see an upset Comair pilot please understand his distress is not directed at you (unless you are Delta or Comair management). Calling Comair a Comair pilot a "nimrod" or a "prick" isn't constructive and frankly is childish.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back