Before strobes...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

Was out plane watching the other day and saw a NW DC-9 with rotating white beacons on the wings. I had never seen this before... How long ago did they switch to flashbulb strobes?

I think some USAir DC-9s used to have the "pulsating" white rear nav lights. Most DC-9 strobes are a retrofit and operate off of the nose gear "ground shift" (squat switch), just like on the MD80.

Yeah, I noticed that myself as well on a DC9 I was deadheading on last night. Kinda a neat effect.

United DC-8's (At least the ones I was around) had the wing NAV's and the tail NAV that had the oscillators, and a fixed bulb. 3 position switch on/off/osc

I figured the NWA 9's were ex-United as well.

United DC-8's (At least the ones I was around) had the wing NAV's and the tail NAV that had the oscillators, and a fixed bulb. 3 position switch on/off/osc

I figured the NWA 9's were ex-United as well.

United never flew DC-9's....The oscillating wing tip lights were just a sign of the times.

The original 727's and 737's also had oscillating wing tip lights. The later "Advanced" -200's were delivered with strobes.

The first plane equipped with strobes would be the DC-10.

On Chuck Norris's plane, he makes Genral Lee and Freight Dog crawl out on the wings with little flashlights......

Neither the General nor Freight is very smart, but they are both smart enough to know that a roundhouse kick to the nuts hurts a lot more than a little wind!

-Chuck knows how much you suck!

On Chuck Norris's plane, he makes Genral Lee and Freight Dog crawl out on the wings with little flashlights......

Neither the General nor Freight is very smart, but they are both smart enough to know that a roundhouse kick to the nuts hurts a lot more than a little wind!

-Chuck knows how much you suck!

Well, at least we all know you're roughly 12 now. I actually thought you might be an older ASA guy until you started in on the Chuck Norris nonsense. I'm guessing Chuck Norris made his last movie roughly around the time you started kindergarten. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Latest resources

Back