• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Before strobes...

PhatAJ2008

Total Time
little
Was out plane watching the other day and saw a NW DC-9 with rotating white beacons on the wings. I had never seen this before... How long ago did they switch to flashbulb strobes?

aa73

Total Time
I think some USAir DC-9s used to have the "pulsating" white rear nav lights. Most DC-9 strobes are a retrofit and operate off of the nose gear "ground shift" (squat switch), just like on the MD80.

fokker pilot

Total Time
The "strobes" are mirrors behind the nav (position light) bulb,... an ex E.A.L. ship (Eastern Airlines) they rotate back and forth.

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
Yeah, I noticed that myself as well on a DC9 I was deadheading on last night. Kinda a neat effect.

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
Total Time
United DC-8's (At least the ones I was around) had the wing NAV's and the tail NAV that had the oscillators, and a fixed bulb. 3 position switch on/off/osc

I figured the NWA 9's were ex-United as well.

Reebo

Still working for HK
Total Time
United DC-8's (At least the ones I was around) had the wing NAV's and the tail NAV that had the oscillators, and a fixed bulb. 3 position switch on/off/osc

I figured the NWA 9's were ex-United as well.

United never flew DC-9's....The oscillating wing tip lights were just a sign of the times.

The original 727's and 737's also had oscillating wing tip lights. The later "Advanced" -200's were delivered with strobes.

The first plane equipped with strobes would be the DC-10.

Sir Innocenti

Total Time
enough
These were actually given the name "Wig Wags" by the Douglas company......

crj567

On Chuck Norris's plane, he makes Genral Lee and Freight Dog crawl out on the wings with little flashlights......

Neither the General nor Freight is very smart, but they are both smart enough to know that a roundhouse kick to the nuts hurts a lot more than a little wind!

-Chuck knows how much you suck!

FmrFreightDog

Py-lote
Total Time
On Chuck Norris's plane, he makes Genral Lee and Freight Dog crawl out on the wings with little flashlights......

Neither the General nor Freight is very smart, but they are both smart enough to know that a roundhouse kick to the nuts hurts a lot more than a little wind!

-Chuck knows how much you suck!

Well, at least we all know you're roughly 12 now. I actually thought you might be an older ASA guy until you started in on the Chuck Norris nonsense. I'm guessing Chuck Norris made his last movie roughly around the time you started kindergarten. Thanks for clearing that up though.

crj567

Well, at least we all know you're roughly 12 now. I actually thought you might be an older ASA guy until you started in on the Chuck Norris nonsense. I'm guessing Chuck Norris made his last movie roughly around the time you started kindergarten. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but he actually made his last movie back when your mom was still hot.

I was jabbing at the other guy anyway-The idiot with "truthiness" in his aviatar.

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
On the DC-8 you could get flashing nav lights, IIRC.