Becoming a pilot with an arrest...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SeanAucoin

just wondering...I had an incident back in february....

my friends and I were filming a movie for school, I had a fake cap gun, and was pointing it towards a sign for a scene. Some random guy driving by thought I was pointing a real gun at him...yes sounds dumb but he called the police and my friends and I got arrested they charged me with assault with dangerous weapon... I went to court and the judge basically laughed and reduced it to just assault..and then he dismissed it and I had to do some community service... I do not have a criminal record, but the incident is still on my regular record...

Now to the question.... Just wondering if this would prevent me from becoming an airline pilot...what would happen during an interview?

Thanks in advance!

Sean....

Given the circumstances.. Get yourself a laywer and get it exsponged from your record.

hey,

there was no convictions at all...I basically just have "assault" on my record...no criminal record what so ever...I was just seeing what people thing. people on other sites said just be honest at the interview if they ask...i have heard of people with DUI's getting hired and some guy fired paintballs at an officer... this is comparable to a speeding ticket

If you had to do community service because of this, it was a conviction. If you weren't convicted, you would have gone your merry way. Thats the way I see it from what information you provided.

Arrests won't come up in most background checks. They only come up on the FBI background checks, and are not disqualifying on their own.

If an application asks you for which counties you have lived in, then you can bet your arrest will come up. If they don't ask, it likely won't come up.

If you are interviewing at an airline, and they ask you if you have any arrests, answer truthfully and completely. However, to the best of my knowledge it is illegal to ask the question in the first place.

Your best bet is to go to a career counselor like Kathy Sweeney or Lori Clark, etc., have them do a background check on you and then work on your interview answers about whatever comes up.

SeanAucoin said:
hey,

there was no convictions at all...I basically just have "assault" on my record...no criminal record what so ever.
No criminal record? How could you have "assault on my record" and not have a criminal record? You're confusing the crap out of me?

SeanAucoin said:
heard of people with DUI's getting hired and some guy fired paintballs at an officer... this is comparable to a speeding ticket
Firing paint balls at an LEO comparable to a speeding ticket? Nope, never. Assaulting a police officer is a felony and rightfully so. As much as I like to geek on cops, prosecutors, politicians and the justice system, I would never condone assault on a police officer...unless it was justifiable self defense.

alrighty let me try to get this straightened out. it wasent assault on a police office. it just happened to be a police officer, and he put in a paper (i forget the name) to have it dismissed...I was not convicted...the judge talked to me in private with the DA they planned a date to go to trial...they said if I did 40 hours of service then that he would just dismiss the case...I have no criminal record...that was already found out...the charge was reduced from a felony (assault with a dangerous weapon) to just a midemeanor (assault) doing the service for the judge..he just took the case and dismissed it...when you look up my record it just says..arrested for a felony..then shows it was reduced to a midemeanor..then dismissed...no criminal record at all no convictions...

let me also add...the whole assault deal..thats attached to my driving record...the arrest/assault are the same thing on the driving record...im free and clear of a criminal record

Before worrying about applying to an airline, you need to first learn how to put together a complete sentence. At the least, learn how to use a spell check and don't use some many ............ between your sentences. How does anyone read that without getting a headache??:eek::smash:

You might want to get a lawyer or at least get someone to explain things to you a little more clearly. You don't get an "assault" on your driving record. Assault is a criminal matter. If you are arrested, it is a criminal matter. A DUI may go on your driving record, but it is a criminal matter.

Latest resources

Back