Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Here is a perfect example of why you never bust minimums with teachers on board. The bush pilots on here know what I mean. In this case he was not only a teacher, but a reporter! This is a VFR 207 flight, by the way.

Brett Stirling: Things we cannot control: fog and the flight home

BRETT STIRLING
Around Alaska

Published: April 3rd, 2005
Last Modified: April 3rd, 2005 at 06:06 AM

KONGIGANAK -- "Can you see it?" the pilot shouted above the roar of the Cessna's engine. I shook my head and pressed my forehead against the cold glass, scanning the world beneath me for any sign of our village. The pilot banked the plane to give himself a better view, but he saw what I saw: a sea of pure white fog, blinding beneath the brilliant blue sky.

I looked at the global positioning system display in the dashboard as the pilot swung the 207 in a tight loop. The runway stood out against the green display. The runway should have been coming up on my side of the plane. I kept searching, but all I saw was the plane's tiny shadow cast on the fog below.

I looked at the pilot; he smiled, shrugged his shoulders and laughed. I had to join him. How could I not? This was the third time today I had gotten into a plane to try and fly home, and despite what the GPS said, I was no closer to home now at 5 in the evening than I was at 11 in the morning.

I had flown up to Bethel on Friday afternoon to watch our high school boys play in the district's basketball semifinals. They won the chance to play for the championship but came up short against our neighbor and rival, Kwigillingok. So early Sunday morning, I loaded up on fresh meat and vegetables and headed to the airport. The girl at the ticket counter looked at me apologetically as she said, "You have excess."

"I know," I said, smiling. I always do. I go up to Bethel with nothing and bring back a hundred pounds of groceries.

Our plane left around 11:30. The sky was a deep morning blue; high, wispy clouds stretched and caught the early light and appeared as gold threads in the sky. We landed in Tuntutuliak, a village near the Kuskokwim River about 45 miles south of Bethel, to drop off a couple of passengers and then headed for home. On the way south, the pilot pushed two buttons on the GPS. The pink line indicating our flight path changed, and he swung the plane to the west. "Got to go to Kwig first," he shouted.

We flew within about five miles of our village. I could make out the dark shape of our rust-colored school and the hulking figure of the lime-green tank farm. A few minutes later, we landed in Kwig to find one of the larger planes, a Cessna Grand Caravan, waiting on the runway for us. It turned out that a ticketing error had put two passengers for our village on the flight to Kwig, and the pilot of the larger plane didn't want to risk our notoriously muddy runway on such a warm day.

The pilot jumped out and seemed to be in an unusual hurry, ushering the two transfers onto our smaller plane. "Fog's moving in," he said as he helped everyone buckle in. In a few minutes, we were back in the air banking low over the scattered buildings that make up Kwigillingok. We leveled out, and I watched ground speed increase to over 120 knots. And that's when I realized we were flying into a wall.

As we approached within 2 1/2 miles, we still could see nothing. A hazy series of buildings came into being. I looked at the pilot, who nodded but shouted, "I'm not going in that low." We were barely over 300 feet, and although we could see buildings, the roofs were disintegrating. We would have had to skim the tundra to get in under the fog.

As we headed back to Bethel, I remembered how annoyed I became the first time I got stuck in Bethel four years ago. Most of us are used to getting where we're going when we're scheduled to. Despite what we sometimes like to believe, even with all our technology, we are not in control. We are at the mercy of the world.

A little after 1 p.m., we loaded the plane again. The engine coughed to life, but as the pilot wrote in his log, someone banged on the wing. The pilot killed the engine and opened his window. "Your weather just went to hell," the man shouted. Without a doubt, that was the shortest flight I had ever taken.

Near 5 o'clock, we tried one last time. I have a feeling peer pressure played a part in putting us in the air. One of the other airlines had loaded up our basketball team, and so the feeling was, well, if they're going ...

We started our approach dropping to 500 feet, then 300, flaps down. About three miles out, the visibility went. There was nothing in any direction. It was as if we had flown into a giant cotton ball. The pilot raised the flaps and throttled up. We climbed to over 1,200 feet before we punched through the fog.

Looming a thousand feet above us was a new wave of fog. The pilot banked sharply in front of the wave like a surfer. The fog washed over the coast, huge crests rising and crashing onto the land, receding into the ocean only to be met by the next wave. As we turned, we met everyone else. Five more planes. All six of us lined up and circled, a traffic jam in the sky.

"Can you see it?" the pilot shouted above the roar of the Cessna's engine. I shook my head and pressed my forehead against the cold glass, scanning the world. I saw nothing, nothing but fog and another night in Bethel and a trip home in the morning ... weather permitting.

R. Brett Stirling lives and writes in Kongiganak, 70 miles southwest of Bethel.

Twotter76 said:
Spoken like someone who has never flown in Bethel.
That's why I never speculate on NTSB reports from AK.

Withholding judgement about AK flying unless you have been there or were the pilot on that flight is a good idea- things can get a bit sticky on a pilot up there. Our en-route VFR mins were 500 and 2.

Also keep in mind this is a story written by a "reporter" so........

"Oh, there but for the grace of God goes I"

Last edited:
Unless you have time in AK flying in and out of Bethel the villages and Bristol Bay hold you tongue. They are not talking about IFR miniumus we are talking VFR under the stuff, around it through it anyway it takes to get the job done. Tough flying but it can be done safely if you do it right. I have spent many an hour at 50 feet or less following the shore with flaps 40 indicating 50kts vis from 1/4 to 1/8th mile.You keep the breakers to your left and so does the other guy. Many times you will pass traffic at the same altitude going the other way, you just have time to wag your wings as they pass by. Bethel is a little tougher as the terrain is slightly higher and the rivers go every which way once you get in the delta. GPS has got to be a great asset, when I flew in AK all we had was a compass heading and a watch. It worked out pretty well.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who learned up there that you can't get too creative with the reg's with non-natives on board. The teachers all know how to read an altimeter, and they know the 500 foot rule. That's why you say, "Look, a moose!" As soon as their heads turn, you crank the kollsman window so the altimeter reads a few hundred feet higher. I'll never forget having this one teacher on board. We were cruising along at about 250 feet under the clouds. He just kept looking out the window, then back at the altimeter which said 500', then out the window, etc. He never did figure it out!

I like that. Back when I was flying up there 80-81-81-83 we didn't have to get so creative. The FAA didn't exist past ANC and the Alaska Range.

Back when I was flying up there 80-81-81-83

Hmm, I flew out of Bethel in 81,83, 84, Bush Air, Coastal and Hermen's as well as C-188 free-lance fish hauling out of Bristol BAY.
Who did ya work for?

Perhaps I know you?

WayBack said:
Nice avatar, student pilot geek! do you tell the girls that you're a pilot?

Don't be this way. Your attitude doesn't work here or impress me. Treat people with respect if you want the same.

Latest resources

Back