Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BBC's take on the U.S. regional industry.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This Cohen guy was never a CEO. He used to be head of P.R. for AOPA.

You can thank him for all the junk mail you get from AOPA.

I'm at ASA and have never even heard of that before. What does it do?

Flight Operations Quality Assurance....

It is a program that identifies operational error trends using the information downloaded from the A/C's FDR's

I'm at ASA and have never even heard of that before. What does it do?

Like dumb pilot said but I'll take it one step further. It basically allows representatives, usually from both the union and the company, to look at various data points and try to find unwanted trends and work together to fix them before they become an incident or accident.

For example, let's say a fictional airline's data is analyzed and they're finding that X% of visual approaches are unstabilized at 500 feet and pilots aren't going around as they should. During your next PC, part of your briefing might include the data from FOQA, an explanation of how these approaches are trending the wrong way, etc., etc., and then hopefully that would raise pilot awareness and more attention would be paid to stabilizing approaches better or executing a go around. Or maybe they'll find that a bunch of these unstablized approaches are happening at a certain airport so they could work with ATC perhaps to give more time to get guys down or perhaps change crossing restrictions on the arrival or whatever.

I know for a fact it has improved safety at my airline and it's incomprehensible to me that the FAA doesn't make stuff like that mandatory.

FOQA would be nice but crap like a scheduled reduced-rest 8 hour overnight needs to go, NOW.

I know for a fact it has improved safety at my airline and it's incomprehensible to me that the FAA doesn't make stuff like that mandatory.

It's not like the FAA doesn't make enough stuff mandatory.

Like dumb pilot said but I'll take it one step further. It basically allows representatives, usually from both the union and the company, to look at various data points and try to find unwanted trends and work together to fix them before they become an incident or accident.

For example, let's say a fictional airline's data is analyzed and they're finding that X% of visual approaches are unstabilized at 500 feet and pilots aren't going around as they should. During your next PC, part of your briefing might include the data from FOQA, an explanation of how these approaches are trending the wrong way, etc., etc., and then hopefully that would raise pilot awareness and more attention would be paid to stabilizing approaches better or executing a go around. Or maybe they'll find that a bunch of these unstablized approaches are happening at a certain airport so they could work with ATC perhaps to give more time to get guys down or perhaps change crossing restrictions on the arrival or whatever.

All that sounds like the ASAP program then. (which we do have at ASA) Same thing, different name?

All that sounds like the ASAP program then. (which we do have at ASA) Same thing, different name?

FOQA and ASAP are not the same thing. ASAP as you know, is self reporting. FOQA downlinks info from the FDR.

Wanna check a bag? That will be $25 extra. Want a window seat? That'll be an extra $35. Want a flight crew that had a full nights' sleep? Fork over another $100.

Unbelievable . . .

Unfortunately managements at regional airlines are not that enlightened. Instead of using the DFDR data to identify training and maintence issues to address they use it to identify the pilots involved and then fire the pilots. Consequently most mature Regional contracts have strict language prohibiting the use of 'eletronic data' by management for any purpose.

I work at one of the three regioanls that do have a FOQA program in place. Management is constantly trying to use the data in disciplinary procedings. The FAA isn't much better. The union has had to seek help from the FAA's national program manager to get the local FAA to follow their own rules. It takes time to change old mens attitudes and managements prejudices.

Latest resources

Back