• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Barnstormers Aerial Advertising

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OHHHHH NOOOOOOO, Bizjet800 do you think if I beg for forgiveness I will unblocked? I really like listening to avbug's lies and BS.

Not a chance Mismo!!! One screw up and you're out of the circle trust. And once you're out you're out for good!!!!!

Hi Avbug,

Do you consider a freight job which might require flying a single engine piston at night and in IMC safe & benign too? Just asking because I believe you've said that you feel that night/instrument single engine piston is a bad idea, yet there are jobs which require it, no? (flight express for example) Do such jobs simply require a pilot "up to the task" in terms of training and proficiency?

I'm not claiming banner tow is a safe or dangerous op, just wondering about the apparent contradiction... cheers.

Hi Avbug,

Do you consider a freight job which might require flying a single engine piston at night and in IMC safe & benign too? Just asking because I believe you've said that you feel that night/instrument single engine piston is a bad idea, yet there are jobs which require it, no? (flight express for example) Do such jobs simply require a pilot "up to the task" in terms of training and proficiency?

I'm not claiming banner tow is a safe or dangerous op, just wondering about the apparent contradiction... cheers.

Careful, Doog... you'll get put on the "ignore list" too.

Do you consider a freight job which might require flying a single engine piston at night and in IMC safe & benign too? Just asking because I believe you've said that you feel that night/instrument single engine piston is a bad idea, yet there are jobs which require it, no?

There's no contradiction whatsoever.

Whether the flight carries freight is of course, irrelevant. That it's a night cross country flight in a single engine airplane, or IMC in a single engine airplane, is very relevant, and yes, it most certainly can be a dangerous undertaking. There's really nothing in aviation which creates a greater workload than single pilot IFR/IMC. Add to this single vacum pump, single generator, single engine, in clouds and ice without radar and the potential for embedded weather...yes, it's dangerous, and it's a gamble.

Towing a banner, on the other hand, involves no difficult maneuvering, poses no particular risk beyond what the operator allows, and is a slow, easy job. A problem with the banner? Cut it away. Problem with the aircraft? Make a forced landing. No different than flying around in one's private airplane, or offering flight instruction, for that matter.

You're attempting to draw some kind of parallel between day VFR flying, and single pilot single engine IFR cross country flying at night?

Do such jobs simply require a pilot "up to the task" in terms of training and proficiency?

Most certainly one who is operating single pilot IFR needs to be up to the task in terms of training and proficiency. Is this ever in question?

Whether the flight carries freight is of course, irrelevant. That it's a night cross country flight in a single engine airplane, or IMC in a single engine airplane, is very relevant, and yes, it most certainly can be a dangerous undertaking. There's really nothing in aviation which creates a greater workload than single pilot IFR/IMC. Add to this single vacum pump, single generator, single engine, in clouds and ice without radar and the potential for embedded weather...yes, it's dangerous, and it's a gamble.

Thanks, that is a perfectly logical line of reasoning. To be clear, I was trying to reconcile that with this section:

I don't consider flying dangerous. I do consider many pilots to be dangerous, and they tend to put the risk in certain assignments. Banner towing, for example is not dangerous, unless it is undertaken by a dangerous pilot. It then becomes dangerous: not because the assignment is difficult or full or risk (because it isn't). It's simply that the pilot, doubting his own abilities and unequal to the task, is insufficient to perform his duty, and therefore dangerous. Accordingly, he believes the job to be dangerous in error, and through his belief, makes it so. A self-fulfilling prophesy, where all it takes is an inadequate pilot to turn a safe and benign task such as picking up and dropping a simple banner into a *dangerous* event.

Avbug must be screwing with people...he argued and argued with me that navy seals placing underwater explosives wasn't dangerous.

Yeesh.

HAAAAA this is craziness that avbug is a fool. He just likes arguments he doesn't care if he is right or wrong. The sky is purple, grass is red, and avbug is awesome.

HAAAAA this is craziness that avbug is a fool. He just likes arguments he doesn't care if he is right or wrong. The sky is purple, grass is red, and avbug is awesome.

You must not be a good enough pilot to appreciate his greatness.

Anyway, whoever thinks single pilot night IFR is dangerous, must not be a good pilot. Probably blames systems failures on banner pilots.

CE

Latest resources

Back