• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20080903X01361&key=1

NTSB Identification: SEA08LA192
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, August 31, 2008 in Camarillo, CA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 8/13/2009
Aircraft: PIPER PA-18-150, registration: N7482D
Injuries: 1 Fatal.During a banner pickup maneuver, witnesses observed the airplane level off from the descent about 150 feet before the banner pickup loop, then rotate and catch the banner pickup loop with its main landing gear instead of the tail hook. Witnesses stated that as the banner started to lift, the pilot added full power and began a climbout at a 45-degree angle to an altitude of about 150 feet. The airplane was then observed to level off before the nose suddenly dropped to about a 30-to-45-degree nose-down attitude before impacting the ground. One of the pilots who witnessed the accident said that it appeared that the pilot might be trying to land straight ahead but did not level off prior to ground impact. According to company procedures, the pilot is expected to establish an approach speed of 80 to 85 mph, maintaining a 15 degree to 20 degree approach angle until the rotation point at the banner pickup loop, and establish full power before rotating. Rotation serves to swing the hook down and forward to snag the rope, as opposed to a flat approach that drags the hook across the rope. As the airplane rotates, the nose is to be raised approximately 20 degrees to 30 degrees above the horizon. At 150 feet, the power is pulled back and the airplane smoothly leveled off at an altitude of 200 feet where full power is then applied. A postaccident examination noted no preimpact anomalies with the airframe or engine which would have precluded normal operation.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot's failure to fly the correct approach profile that resulted in the inadvertent pickup of a banner tow line with the airplane's main landing gear.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20080903X01361&ntsbno=SEA08LA192&akey=1

The most dangerous component in the airplane continues to be the pilot...especially one which does not follow the correct procedure.

According to the company's Director of Operations, the accident pilot had accumulated a total of 260.2 hours of banner tow time in the PA-18 airplane during his employment with the company. Company records also indicated that the pilot's most recent recurrent training occurred on January 13, 2008, which consisted of 0.5 hours of ground instruction, with the training form annotated, "[The pilot] was observed later picking a banner with N105F, and he demonstrated proper safe operational procedures as discussed." Additionally, the pilot received recurrent training on October 12, 2007, which included 0.5 hours of ground instruction and 0.5 hours of flight recurrent training on "banner pick profile and procedures," which was conducted by the company's chief pilot. The chief pilot noted, "At issue is [the pilot's] picking a banner with the main gear. [The pilot] did a successful job demonstrating safe operational procedures." A statement submitted to the IIC by the company's Director of Operations confirmed that the accident pilot "...did in fact have an issue back in October 07, when operating in Waco, Texas, he picked a banner up with the main gear and had to land with the banner."

"The examination revealed that no anomalies existed with the airplane, which would have precluded normal operation. "

The pilot, who was trained, who had flown banners for 250 hours, and who had recently undergone recurrent training, had made the same mistake before, by not following the company procedures On scene witnesses, including a Van Wagner pilot, noted the same thing in their observations, including the pilot's failure to follow procedure once he had improperly hooked the tow rope on his gear.

He knew the procedure, had been trained in it, and had been given recurrent training. I doubt the 1,500 bucks would have helped him or kept him alive.

It's no the job that's dangerous. It's the pilot. As always.

You have to fly the airplane, any job is dangerous if you don't do that..
It's tough to say what happened without being in the airplane, and I've never made the mistake of picking up on the mains, I've seen people do it and successfully land. I've picked up with the tow hook rope rapped around the tailwheel and the rudder went full deflection to one side, I wasn't able to overcome the force holding the rudder but was able to continue climbing and leveled off and turned the plane around and landed in a slight turn, that was with a panel and trailing letter banner. I never let the wing stop flying, that would've killed me.

I don't feel banner towing is dangerous, in fact I feel it's a very safe and extremely fun job in a Cub with at least 150 horsepower. I have at least 1000 hours.. probably closer to 1500 hours doing it, never counted but must be several hundred banner pickups.

It's tough to say what happened without being in the plane, godspeed to the pilot.

Last edited:
That's the gist of it, though there are two ways to lay the banner. The way it's prepped in the video provides a greater chance for entanglement and snagging the banner, and isn't possible with a long banner.

Catching the wheel(s) may occur because of too low an approach, too flat an approach, too late a rotation to climb out, misjudging the pickup, etc.

Latest resources

Back