Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cessna 140

Weekendwarrior,

How much did the 140 set you back? I was thinking of getting a 140 myself.

$20,000. I've seen them from $17,000 on up to $30,000. Mine has gyros, radio, xponder, VOR/LOC/GS. I wouldn't fly it IFR though. The gyros are all venturi driven and are not that accurate. Not to mention, the VOR/LOC/GS/COMM all use the same antenna, so an ILS isn't that accurate either. Anyway, it is a fair weather machine, time builder. Costs about $10.00/hour to operate. (not including engine reserves) Dirt cheap flying. Unless something breaks, of course. I did have to have a cylinder overhauled at about $600. Nevertheless, I've flown about 50 hours so far in it, and have only put about $1000 into it, plus gas and insurance.

Not to mention tailwheel flying will make you a better pilot. Keeps you awake on t/o and landing. It's a real dream to fly, though. Low and slow, cheap, etc. It does not do well over mountains in the summer time. Density altitude is not good when you only have 85 HP.

What's the cost of insurance for a low time pilot (I have 300 hours with a Commercial license) for a 140? I 'v looked at a few 140s and am considering purchasing one.

instruction

weekend just think of how well you would do if you got your cfi, (shouldn't cost you more than 2000 maybe 2500) and then instructed in it. You would have to do regular maint, but you can charge whatever you want for your time as well as for the airplane. You may even make some money. And the kicker is you get to chose who you instruct. Best of both worlds!!

I looked into that. The insurance is about $5,000/year as opposed to $1200/year. Not to mention my plane is a tailwheel, and unless I was giving tailwheel checkouts, it's pretty useless. The last thing I would want to do with my airplane is to teach someone how to land a tailwheel. Too much abuse, expense, and if they ground loop the thing, it goes on my record, being PIC.

Not worth it.

I only had 190 TT and no tailwheel time when I bought my 140. The insurance is $1200/year, and that included getting a tailwheel endorsement in my airplane. I just had to put my CFI on the policy for the tailwheel. Got the insurance through Nationair. Great guys. http://www.nationair.com ask for JT Helms.

Instructing is not the most glorifying job but it gives you valuable experience dealing with people. When you get a job and upgrade to captain one of the roles is to be a teacher. The experience also comes in hany if you want to become a check Airman as well.

CR

WeekendWarrior;

I'll say it in only a few words, "Become a Flight Instructor".
It's worth the experience!

I have also heard that some companies won't consider you unless you have been a flight instructor in the past?

Being an aircraft owner myself, I agree with weekendwarrior's logic. I've logged nearly 500 hours of quality time. In the last 4 years, I've flown coast to coast three times and even been island hopping in the Bahamas and down to Baja several times. It's been a blast! Planning to go to Alaska in August. I've been primarily doing IFR training flight between San Diego and LA shooting multiple approaches. Always try to fly with people more experienced than myself. My goal is hone my flying skills to a professional level. The opportunity for networking alone with this method more than justifies this approach to timebuilding. I've flown with several airline pilots and even a WW2 B25 bomber pilot. Last week a friend brought home $50 for a week of instructing. He was at the airport 6 days for 10 hours a day. Granted he is just starting out and this will change over time. I agree that instructing has many advantages both in the present and for the future. But if you have the means, aircraft ownership is a viable option for gaining real world experience. (BTW my insurance is $400 a year/last annual $175)

Aviator,

I too am intrigued by the idea of buying a cheap plane and building some hours.

But I don't get it -- who are these more professional pilots you fly with? People you know? Just pilots you meet hanging out at the FBO? Do you entice them with a free trip to Baja?

We'd all love to network, but I'm just wondering where you're meeting all these other pilots.

Latest resources

Back