• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bare Minimum Time For A Job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've met people for the training flights in a number of ways. I post messages at various FBO's to share X/C time. Also at AOPA conventions, airshow's , FAA seminars, or just hanging around the airport. I allways have business cards with my contact info with me(iprint .com is a good source for this). Some of the local flying clubs have a list of people who want to share time along with their qualifactions. That's been a great help in finding people as well. The Baja flights I've only done with some non-pilot friends.

Your post is insulting- you want the "majors" Well, we have United, Delta and US Air pilots right now in training at ASA- thats right a "regional" Think any right seat time you buy will make you competitive? You'd better adjust your thinking if you want to get into this market!!

weekendwarrior said:
The insurance is about $5,000/year as opposed to $1200/year.

I know a guy who owned a c-120. He would instruct out of it and seemed to do OK financially. He said the trick is to insure it with some kind of vintage aircraft policy. The plane must be a certain age (I think older that 1965). He said this policy covers dual given, but wasn't a full commercial policy so he couldn't let people solo it. He paid around $1000/yr for insurance and made money giving tailwheel endorsements.

Now for the rest of the story: When a friend he trusted would get enough time to be named on the policy he would add them and let them give tailwheel endorsements out of his plane. One day one of these people didn't supervise his student close enough and plane gets flipped over. (high speed + lots of toe brakes= prop in ground). Everybody walked away from the plane just fine, and after the insurance company is done, his aircraft is worth more than when he bought it. And best of all the wreck wasn't on his ticket.

You can always move to the beach and start towing banners. If fact there is a banner tow job on Climbto350.

In response to Wil’s post….. I’m fully aware of the current backflow situation at the Regionals. If you’re one of the unfortunate pilots out on the street right now, I wish you the best of luck. Times are tough right now; but it has been worse in the past (http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7205) If you feel that you are insulted by what I’m doing, then you certainly are jumping to conclusions. Just for the record, I’m firmly opposed to PFT. I think people that try to build their time through outfits such as Gulfstream are hurting themselves in the long run. I usually charge just enough to cover my fuel cost ($15/hr) or whatever they can afford to pay. If I charged enough to cover all of my expenses it would be considerably higher. The other person always has the option to sit in the left seat. We can both legally log the time as PIC since one person is acting as a safety pilot, while the other person in under the hood. Your’s is the first negative reaction I have encountered. Most people feel that this is a win-win situation.

Latest resources

Back