Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CA1900

Big Member
So I'm sitting in a nice local bar in an unnamed city a few nights ago with my FO, for a couple of beers to unwind after a fairly high-workload day. In general, I don't mention to a soul that I'm a pilot on an overnight. If asked at a hotel bar, I'm "here on business." At local bars, I'm rarely asked at all.

So the guy I'm flying with overhears the guys next to us talking shop -- they're clearly another airline crew. He casually asks who they fly for. He tells us. (I'll omit it; no need to point fingers at anyone.) Here we go...

That wasn't a big deal at all, really -- I usually don't mention it because I don't want to talk shop on my off hours on an overnight. But hey, my FO did, and that's fine. The problem comes toward the end of our visit, when he asks us, "So, what time's your show?" Ack, that's something that should never be asked at a bar amongst aircrews!

I always assumed it to be an unwritten code, but apparently word isn't getting around. So spread the word to the new guys: Talk shop at your own peril, and for heaven's sake don't ask a question that could get somebody in trouble. I'm not talking about boozing it up within hours of showtime, I'm talking a beer with dinner that might violate a company's 12-hour rule, for example. A drunk pilot is another matter entirely.

Let's hope it was just the White Russians the guy had that caused the slip-up. It's just a crass question to ask.

Thank you.

A pilot shall not drink.

If a pilot do drink, he shall not get drunk.

If he do get drunk, he shall not stumble.

If he do stumble, he shall not fall down.

If he falls down, he shall get up.

If he cannot get up, he shall remove all insignia so that he will be thought to be________ (fill in the blank).

When I'm in a bar, I don't tell anybody I'm a pilot....hell, when I'm not working, I rarely tell anybody what I do...even if they specifically ask. What does it matter? I tell people in a bar I'm a limo driver....or, if they are really a$$holes, I tell them I'm a proctologist, and offer them a free exam...right here...right now! :D

Oh, BTW....the only bar etiquette you really need to know is....if you meet a fractional or corporate crew, say at the hotel checking in, offer to buy them a beer! ;)

FracCaptOh, BTW....the only bar etiquette you really need to know is....if you meet a fractional or corporate crew, say at the hotel checking in, offer to buy them a beer! ;)

So is that how I will get my next job, or is someone here just trying to use me for free drinks?

All in jest

Because FltOps crews do not drink on the road... They may, however have an orange juice (with ??) whilst you have your beverage of choice.

Cheers!;)

I almost never say I’m a pilot. I usually try and make a game out of how much BS we can get away with. It’s kind of fun pretending to be a doctor, lawyer, cowboy, etc, while out on the road. I mean who’d have thought that the “German Ambassador” was in Wichita for a week.

my friend who is a pilot of a charter plane says hes a pilot to pick up women in bars..its usually seems to work pretty well...

But he does not go bragging about it nor drinks while in uniform. He does not make a huge production about it. He says he does not want people thinking all pilots are drinkers. Its more of an "image thing"

so he says

Last edited:
OneBadLT123 said:
my friend who is a pilot of a charter plane says hes a pilot to pick up women in bars..its usually seems to work pretty well...
Any farm kid can pick up chicks in a bar with pick up truck bed full of ears of corn. Wouldn't that be cheaper than 100,000 bucks worth of flight training and college?

I used to work at a paper mill. When I wanted to pick up chicks in a bar, I just showed 'em pictures of my new house. Not as cheap as corn, but a better investment, none the less.

FN FAL said:
Any farm kid can pick up chicks in a bar with pick up truck bed full of ears of corn. Wouldn't that be cheaper than 100,000 bucks worth of flight training and college?

I used to work at a paper mill. When I wanted to pick up chicks in a bar, I just showed 'em pictures of my new house. Not as cheap as corn, but a better investment, none the less.
hey, it works...
I guess its the whole pilot image. We all know its just whatever, but not the dumb women, they hear pilot and they are like wow

i dont know, i guess its just the "image" that impresses them.

Latest resources

Back