Banner Towing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kwb13

I am thinking about taking a banner towing job, but don't now if it's worth it. I have spent a lot of time and money getting the ratings I have, I just don't know if it's worth it to get a banner tow endorsement. How can a banner tow endorsement help my career? I'm having a REALLY hard time finding a flying job, this is the ONLY offer that I've gotten. Even if I take the job, I still have to fork out money for the training. I guess if you want to fly banners for rest of your life it would be money well spent. It's just hard to justify spending that much money for a job that does'nt pay well. I don't think that this is PFT, I would never do that. I understand that it is very specialized training, I'm just having a hard time making up my mind!

Any suggestions?

Banners

Did it, loved it, lots-o-fun. I suppose if you need flight time go for it, if you need to stay current your out of luck b/c banners don't fly at night (rare exceptions), in clouds, or multi engine a/c. I can't imagine how much they could charge you for training. Maybe things have changed, but 5 years ago you did a couple practice pick up's and drops and then demoed it for your employer, who holds the waiver and bingo you are done. Maybe 30 min. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, it's been awhile. Go for it it's a fun way to fly, and 15 years from now you'll still tell stories of when you flew with the door off and your feet hanging out in the breeze over the beach or a Mich. game.

I don't have a tail-wheel endorsement, that's what costs a pretty penny. Also, there is a program endorsed by the FAA that requires a psuedo checkride by a DE. The total time to finish the training is 7-10 days(15-20 hrs. flight and ground). Is this unusual? I know their are companies out there that just require a tail-wheel endorsement and about 3 hrs of training and your done.

The guy I talked to did say that this was a pretty new program and that only a handful of companies use it, but I thought it made sense. Airlines have a training program, why should this be any different? I've been through airline training, and I'm sure it's not the same, just the fact that there is specialized training for that particular company makes it similar. I do need the flight time and it sounds fun and different, but it costs 2 GRAND!!!

Again, I ask, any suggestions?

Last edited:
[b]2K???[/b]

2K, are they nuts. :rolleyes: :eek: Unless you REALY need flight time NO WAY. Think how much flight time in a twin or an Arrow you could get for that. In Banner towing you don't get x-country, at least with most operators. As far as training, 15-20 hours seems high, unless maybe that includes the tail wheel sign off also. The tail wheel sign off might take 5-10 ours depending on your skills. But the banner operations should be simple. I find it hard to believe that they can find a DE willing to do those types of check rides. Like I said maybe things have changed.:confused:

By the way where are you looking to do this

I'm towing banners right now and recomend it, if anything it builds character along with your log book. First of all DO NOT go to Aerial Messages of Daytona. That POS got my last $2500 from my severens check to train and no job. The training was fun though, In DAB over spring break but not $2500 worth of fun. If you do have to end up paying for training negotiate a deal to do it by the hour. They will quote you $2000 for 20 hours and fly you 10 and sign you off. So tell them $100 per hour and see how they like that. It shouldn't take more than 10 hours, I was teaching rocks to tow in way less than that. And get your tailwheel as soon as possible. Cessnas stink at banner towing and nowhere near as safe as something with some pony's under the hood. If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm going to agree with Tangodelta here. I spent last summer draging rags on the Jersey Shore. Stay away from that company out of Daytona, we had 2 guys come from there, both said it was a complete waste of time and money. Our company charged $500 for training, but refunded it after you stayed for the whole season.

"Checkride" consisted of 2 pickups and drops. Now, I'm not going to BS you. It's not for everybody. You'll spend all your time flying beat up stripped down wrecks low and slow. You'll rack up some serious flight time in a hurry, but when (not if) the $#!% hits the fan, you won't have many options. I flew over 300 hours in 3 months, had 2 engine failures, almost a 3rd, had an oil leak a few times that completely covered my windshield in oil, couldn't see a thing. If stick and rudder, seat of your pants flying isn't for you, don't do it. I had airspeed, altimeter, and a tach. That was it, spent most of my time looking at the engine guages though.

All that being said, I loved the hell out of it. Wouldn't have traded it for the world. I'll probibly do it for one more season, then I'll have enough time to get a better position somewhere (I hope!)

PM me with any questions.

momalley81,

Enquiring minds want to know. I'd like to hear the stories of two engine failures while towing banners. As you said, your options are pretty limited. Do tell...

Stephen

If this place you are taking about is in Flagler/Daytona, Florida stay away. He will steal your money.

I think that towing banners is an excellent way to build time, however in your profile you state that you have Emb-145 time. Though I can't see going backwards in your career. It also depends on how mobile you are. Granted there are many, many companies that are dirtbag operations. The one that I worked for was Aerial Sign Company out of Hollywood, Florida. They are a class act and I loved working there. The 15 - 20 Hours that everyone here is complaining about is well worth it. It may save your life. I have seen many companies all over the US that pick these signs up in a dangerous manner. There is a SAFE way to do this.

Maintenance is definately important if not crucial. Be careful. If you do decide to go this route do your homework and stay away from seasonal operators. They will probably not teach you properly and will cut costs. Like I said I did it for a while and built up good time. Lots of cross country and I also go to see the US from 500 feet.

With your jet time you should be able to find a better job,

As for telling the guy that you want $100 per hour, they are going to show you the door

Good Luck

LearAv8r-

Yes, I do have some turbine 121 experience, both turbo-props and jet. I would love to find something flying more advanced equipment but I am just under 135 mins and have been everywhere looking for a FO position at charter operations and also have been to all of the local flight schools for a instructing job. I am also looking for a change. I flew 121 for 8 months, got furloughed twice, finally got called back and hated being away from my family. I am trying to find something locally, I don't mind being gone a couple days out of the week, I just would like to steer away from the gone for 2 weeks at a time jobs.

It's funny how you spend your whole career thinking you know exactly what you want to do, and then when you get there it's like you made a mistake. I NEVER thought I would want to do anything else but fly for an airline, but now I know different. Times change, people change. 9-11 changed a lot of that for me.

Thanks for listening,

Mr. Mom!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back