• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Banner Towing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dont U know that banner towing "waivers" have been recalled by the morons at the TSA? The banner boys are as good as done.

Stephen, you really wanted to know?

Well, first of all, I was flying for one of the companies that LearAv8r warned you about. But as green as I was, I didn't realize it until I was in too deep. But at least we hadn't had a fatal accident in our company's 57 year history. We averaged a major wreck at least once, sometimes twice a season, but no fatals.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to have my two engine failures at a relativly safe time; right after takeoff from our 1500' grass strip. Both times I was able to get a restart; first was by switching to a single mag, turns out one was timed to fire at 23 degrees, the other at 32 degrees. The second time was my own fault, someone moved my plane and turned off the fuel valves (keep in mind, this was MY plane for the season, I was the only one flying her) I had never touched the darned things in 200 hours, so I never checked 'em on takeoff. Oops.

The fun one was when my plugs started to foul out while under tow. I think I posted that story on the "Oh $h!t" moments" thread. Long story short, I was serously contemplating going for a swim in the Atlantic Ocean, because that was the ONLY option at the time.

Its a miracle you didnt die Momalley.
I lost 10 bucks b/c u didnt
D

PS pick up the beer anytime I will be away till Sate evening

I have been towing for a long while off and on, its alot of fun and it makes you a (let me find the right words), a better pilot maybe, but you start to develope some bad habits.

But I do highly reccomend it. I have done it when I needed to build time and also after I got my career going, for fun and extra cash.

And my motto for banner flying is, it is as safe as YOU make it.

Banner flying is not anything hard to learn, you just have to get comfortable with it. I also agree that you should not be spending 2K for training, that is BS. My checkout was a couple of dry runs, pick up just a lead pole, pick up the company banner and then I was on my own, no big deal. About 1 1/2 fillups on a 150 horse C-150.

banner towing

Some good info in these posts but I still have several questions. I am looking at a company out of Myrtle Beach, SC. called Sky Signs. Any one have anything to say about them? They also charge 2G's for training (25 flt. hrs along with some ground training). They have a full-time A&P working on the planes so I am not too concerned about their a/c. Their insurance requires 50 hr of tailwheel time which they will sell to you for $60 /hr. after the 25 hrs of training. I have been looking at many locations in FL, NY, NJ, SC, OH, LA and most of them require some sort of a training program that is in the vicinity of 20-25 hrs and 2 grand. Help me out!
I've got 450 hrs, zero tailwheel but would like to take the summer off from instructing and this sounds like some fun flying! I'm looking forward to leaving the door open for once!

Get your tailwheel and go talk to Jim Butler at Aerial Sign at North Perry Airport in Hollywood, Fl. Like the above post stated they are a class act as far as banner towing goes. You would get to travel all over with them and they pay you pretty decient. I would go see him in the next 5 or 6 weeks and see if you can get set up for the summer. I might see you there.

As far as the TSA pulling our waivers for the stadiums and open air events we have them back and are going strong. We all had to do a federal background check and that's all. And that is fine by me, as long as it makes the public happy. The NFL, NCAA, MLB...thats a different story.

have his #?

Do you have his Phone #?

I have some tailwheel time and would love to do some towing...

Heck anything to get back in the air!!!

Rich!

I towed for Sky Signs back in the mid 90's under diferent management.

They were a good company and flew a fairly safe operation (two accidents the summer I was there -a ground loop, and a pilot induced touch down during a banner training pickup that flipped the plane in the middle of a soy bean field and broke it in half - no injuries.)

That being said - you have to do the math. At 10$/hour you are working for the summer FOR FREE less room and board if they want you to PFT.

Times have changed, and I paid for my tailwheel training in college, and about four hours of time @ ~50$/hr picking up banners "training" for my first job out of college in NJ, but 2K for banner training - NO WAY!

Also, unless things have changed, you don't get anything from the F'n AA when you are allowed to tow. The operator gets your name added to THEIR waver. If you do this make sure that you get a photocopy of their waver with your name on it for your $$.

Do a good preflight/postflight and remember - you can always find a new job if you are alive to do so! No amount of hours are worth dieing for!

Good luck!

Aerial Sign Company in Hollywood FL

954-989-2086

good luck

LearAv8r-

I started and ran a banner operation about ten years ago. It used two airplanes, a Cessna 172 (180 horse), and a Cessna 182A. I also had a Cessna 150 with a 0-320 available to use. It went well, and served it's purpose; it was to supplement other business affairs, and it did that just fine.

I can't imagine what someone could talk about or teach for 25 hours of training, while putting an employee on line flying banners. It's just not rocket science.

I did two tows on my own, then a couple of tows for the FAA. I had several others tow for the FAA, and none of them had ever picked up or towed a banner in their life. Their next tow was for revenue, and they had no problems. Charging two grand for that is outrageous highway robbery.

Is banner towing something you want to do? You have to answer that for yourself. You also have to ask yourself if you have anything else in the works right now. No? Then banner towing is probably great, if you get the chance. I have long maintained that the greatest airplane in the world is the one I'm privileged to fly right now, whatever that may be. If you can find work flying, find it, period. Beggars can afford to be choosers only with respect to safety issues; beyond that, if towing banners is the only job available to you, then it's the best job in the world, and you should jump at it.

Towing banners isn't exciting. It isn't particularly challenging, and it isn't a deep, meaningful experience. It is flying, and whatever flying is to you, that is what banner towing will be for you. You can waste your hours towing building hours, or you can gain a wealth of understanding by building experience...it's up to you what you get from it. Beyond that, it's a paycheck. In a time when a paycheck isn't to be taken for granted (has it ever been??), then you have something more to be grateful for. Add to that the fact that it's a paycheck for flying an airplane instead of sitting behind a desk or mopping floors, and you have a great deal to be thankful for.

I wouldn't pay two grand to buy that opportunity, but if you can find an employer willing to hire you, then take what you can find, and smile. It's a good day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back