Ballistic Climbs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9GClub

Just watched a video on flightlevel350.com...... a China Airlines Cargo 744F takeoff (brakes off to mains airborne) in 30s...... seemed awfully quick, it must have been empty. Comments?

("Well son, when you strap four huge fans on a long metal tube, it will go up.")

Anybody witnessed or performed "ballistic" climbs in an empty pax or cargo jet? I'm guessing it's prudent to inform ATC of your intentions.... but do you need to ask permission per se? How do employers (i.e. the corporate entities that own the aircraft) feel about guys throwing their planes around?

("Well son, actually they like it when their crap comes back bent.")

If minitour hits a golf ball in the woods but there's no one around to hear it, will he take immediate flak in this forum?

Last edited:
I don't know about empty cargo jets, but whenever we do an afterburner climb in the '38, we tag each transmission with an "...afterburner climb" at the end. That way, ATC knows we're climbing like a bat outta hell and clears the altitude above us.

It's no joke, either...a few seconds can really make a difference when you're climbing close to 30K' per minute. An intermediate level-off in such a climb really sucks.

9GClub said:
If minitour hits a golf ball in the woods but there's no one around to hear it, will he take immediate flak in this forum?

Not until he start offering advice on how to hit a high, 2 iron draw into the 15th green at Augusta...;) :D

Vector4fun said:
Not until he start offering advice on how to hit a high, 2 iron draw into the 15th green at Augusta...;) :D

If you need 2-iron to reach the green there, you shouldn't be worried about the draw...

I did hit a nice cut three today from a downhill lie to set up an easy birdie on the first....that was fun...haven't hit a cut in 4 years...

-mini

minitour said:
I did hit a nice cut three today from a downhill lie to set up an easy birdie on the first....

-mini

Uh...what? Is that English? :)

Sorry...the only golf I know has windmills.

ATC gets mad if you don't tell them you're going to.

Latest resources

Back