• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bailin' Eagle....maybe

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd second Cornelius' opinion: try to get a leave, that way if it doesn't pan out as expected, you haven't lost anything.

RR

I 3rd Cornelius' opinion: try to get a leave, that way if it doesn't pan out as expected, you haven't lost anything.

Life, job whatever is what you make of it.

Eagle

A leave of absence is the safe bet. I didnt last that long at Eagle. I couldn't afford to keep the job. The whole point of life at Eagle was brought home to me by my IOE checkairman. On my very first revenue leg with Eagle he told me "whatever you can do in aviation, being barnstorming, flying checks, instructing, whatever, just get the he$$ out of Eagle". Not what a newhire usually would like to hear coming fresh out of class. Anyway, I ended up quiting and going back to instructing with a salaried Chief Pilot position at a 141 flight school. It was definately a step backwards but I saw my kids and didnt have to file bankruptcy. Whatever you choose, there is usually something good that will come around if you can wait and be patient. I start with NetJets on 12th of Aug and in all honesty, I think that I can thank Eagle for the opportunity. Part 121 does make a difference.. Whatever you decide to do, just be happy doing it. I wish Eagle had worked out for me, I really enjoyed the job.

Peace out
IP

InstructorPuke, your IOE Check Airman was an idiot and I'm sorry you had to have him as your initial Captain. I really am. What kind of down and out jerk would tell an new hire FO on his first leg of his first day of IOE that his job sucks?! I'll give you a clue, a burnout who should've left aviation a LONG time ago. I'll tell you this: that guy was the exception. While most pilots at Eagle have a serious problem with how our management runs this place, very few would tell a new hire to essentially "run for the hills", especially a check airman. Man! Hearing that makes my blood boil!

IOE is supposed to be an enjoyable learning experience.

I've been with Eagle for 11 years now and I can say with conviction that, overall, I have enjoyed my job. The company certainly is not the "perfect" place to work, but what place is? Every job has its flaws. One can look at one's life as being a glass half full or half empty. I choose to look at mine as a glass half full.

As for you, I hope that your aviation career works out for you, no matter what path you might take.

Keep the shiny side up and the oily side down!

Just curious... Why don't you look for another 121 job instead? It seems to me that if you're going to bail, you probably have the times to get on with another regional, and the 121 airline experience would definintely look better than a bunch of VFR elevator rides.

I agree

Yeah RedHead I totally agree. I spent the entire IOE wondering why I made such a huge mistake. In his defense though, nothing that he said had any bearing on my decision to leave Eagle whatsoever. It was strickly out of monetary necessity. I accepted the job hoping that I would be able to commute. As it turned out, this happened to be when the rest of the BizEx guys came on and some Saabs got moved to JFK from DFW and LAX. I needed a huge number of guys to leave before I could even hold a line. In short, I loved the job, I loved the airplane, but just couldnt love at the expense of my family.

Anyway, I wish all my former coworkers well, and a long healthy flying career.

IP

I've been at Skywest 28 months now and upgrade is probably a year away at the minimum. When we start hiring again (probably begining of next year) I would imagine upgrades for those folks at least 4-5 years away. Though I believe Skywest is probably a much better place than Eagle, coming here wouldn't get you any PIC time sooner than sticking it out at Eagle. I couldn't imagine staring back over again on the bottom of another Regionals senority list at $18-$20 an hour and who knows how many months or reserve. Unless it's a start-up company movement must be slow just about everywhere.

Since you are looking for PIC time I must assume your goal is to become competitve for a job at the Majors. Have you applied at Net Jets, etc or looked for a Corporate job, where pay would probably be better. In these situations PIC time might only be a year away, you'd get a type or two, and it's still a crew environment. I can only Imagine that an HR department / interviewer at a Major would view the King Air Skydiver job as a step backwards. Sticking it out at Eagle would show the majors your determination to stay an AIRLINE PILOT. I wouldn't imagine that there will be to many Major airlines hiring in the next 3-4 years anyway, and when they do it will be like 97' when it was just guys with 10,000+ hrs or their fathers were senior pilots at the company.

Try to imagine the many different ways your resume could look in 3-5 years and pick the plan of action.

P.S. If I were dead set on working for Southwest and were willing to buy my own type rating I'd take the King Air job and get the 1000 hrs PIC as soon as I could -- but I'm not.

Socalpilot,

I disagree with your comments about a major airline viewing the King Air position as a step backwards. All they care about is PIC turbine time. DBacks has already shown he/she can make it through a 121 training program.

I've had recruiters at Alaska, Southwest and American tell that they want to see the PIC turbine time, whether part 135, 121 or 91. If an applicant doesn't have any 121 experience, then that is what they want to see. But if you've already checked off that box, I'd say go for the PIC turbine time.

AA's RedheadedBro,

I agree with what you are saying, but it's not reality. My whole April class was told by an Eagle union rep on our second day with the company. " Congratulations for getting this job, but this company is a bad place to work. The management will screw you whenever possible. My advice is to get through trainning and find another job ASAP". I shrugged him off at the time, but now after 10 months of sitting on forlough I should have had my ears open. The Captains I flew with were great guy's but the same comments were also made the minute I hit the line. What a sad way to start your airline career!!!

I agree. However, read the various posts spread around this board and in the General section. Right now most of the airline pilots out there are complaining about something - anything. Now is not a good time in this industry. We at Eagle just seem to have become the first to be disgruntled enmass.

Many of the problems we are having at Eagle right now are happening at the other big regionals. Look what's happening with the DAL wholly owned's. Go to the General Section and read some of the strings in there. They'll make your eyes pop.

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back