Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Resume Writer

Hi Everyone,

This came to me as a Press Release. I spoke with the author of the book and she is right on target. I also purchased her book and it is great!

Here is the press release and a link to her website. She offers a sample chapter on the website. The book, in my opinion, is well worth the cost. I had it sent to me via .pdf.

Wonder Why You Didn't Get That Job? The Answer May Surprise You

Over 80% of companies say that discrepancies on a job application can take a candidate out of the running, yet half of the background checks run in 2005 found inaccuracies in the information provided by applicants. A new book takes job hunters inside a background check, explains how information gets verified, and shows them how to fill out a job application that will sail through pre-employment screening.

Gainesville, VA (PRWEB) May 16, 2006 -- People get turned down for jobs every day. Some applicants don’t have the right experience and others don’t interview well. But there’s another major reason that candidates don’t get job offers, one that hiring companies rarely share with applicants – they didn’t pass the background check.

“A Job Hunter’s Secret Weapon: How to Survive a Background Check and Get the Job You Really Want!” (www.jobhunterssecretweapon.com) is the first book that shows job applicants how to get through a background check successfully. Written by a pre-employment screener who spent 18 years in the industry, the book reveals what specific types of information companies check, how a candidate’s employment, education, and criminal background gets verified, and what essential information applicants need to provide on a job application.

Almost five million background checks were run in 2005, and about half of them found discrepancies in the information provided by applicants. Since over 80% of companies say that inaccuracies on a job application can take a candidate out of consideration, preparing for a background check is as essential today as updating a resume.

Jan Maxwell, author of “A Job Hunter’s Secret Weapon” explains the importance of being prepared. “Companies are taking a closer look at who they hire today. While an impressive resume may get you in the door, and solid interviewing skills can help you make the final cut, you have to pass the background check to get the job. If you don’t provide the right kind of information on a job application, your background can be difficult to check. Companies are hesitant to hire people who have gaps or discrepancies in their information.”

In “A Job Hunter’s Secret Weapon,” candidates learn the four most important rules to follow when filling out an application, the three most essential pieces of personal information they need to provide, and how to choose and prepare references that will help them land the job.

According to recent surveys, 65% of U.S. workers are considering looking for a new job in 2006 and over half of the country’s hiring managers say they plan to increase their staffs in the coming year. In that environment, “A Job Hunter’s Secret Weapon” is the job search tool that every applicant needs.

“A Job Hunter’s Secret Weapon” sells for $12.95 and is currently available as an ebook or on CD. It will be released in print in the fall. The book is available at www.jobhunterssecretweapon.com, where job applicants can also read the book’s Table of Contents and a sample chapter.

Jan Maxwell is a freelance writer whose work has appeared online and in print publications such as Northern Virginia Magazine and Experience. She spent eighteen years as a pre-employment screener and saw many qualified individuals fail to get hired because the information on their applications had holes and discrepancies or was impossible to verify.

Book Name: A Job Hunter’s Secret Weapon: How to Survive a Background Check and Get the Job You Really Want!
Format: Ebook (PDF), CD - (Print edition available 9/06)
Length: 164 pages
ISBN: 0-9779383-0-1
Released: 05/16/06

just checked it out. it looked pretty good but when i was about to use paypal to pay, it shows that there has only been 2 buyers! I started getting sketchy and logged out. Not sure what to think

I know she just released the book - hence the press release. She may not have a ton of sales yet, but her book is outstanding and very thorough. I am not sure if you feel that her information might not be valid, but it is the same with any book that just gets released - sales build over time.

timeoff said:
You are absolutely correct sir.

No, you are NOT correct. I am not receiving one dime from this. I suggested to her that she make landing pages for different places so that she can track her sales and where they come from. I told her that I would put her book on here for her. The ONLY reason I told her I would do this is because I read her book and I feel that it has value.

I believe in helping people to promote things that I feel are of value. Just as people have helped me in my business. My link is on several recruiters websites and I do not pay them a dime. Consequently, their websites are on my website, and they do not pay me a dime. It is called cross-promotion.

If you do not believe me, call her and ask her. Her contact information, as found on her press release is:

Press Contact: Jan Maxwell
Company Name: PURPLE INK PRESS
Email: email protected from spam bots
Phone: 703-753-5370

McJohn,

I get a lot of people who have worked for companies that have gone out of business and she provides a way to get that information. That is just one example.

Let me list the table of contents, so everyone can see what is in it.

Contents
Introduction..............................................................................................................1
Section 1: Background Checks 101 ................................................................... 10
Why Companies Run Background Checks............................................. 11
Everyone is taking a closer look at who they hire. You’ll learn the seven main
reasons why companies want to run a background check on you.
What Types of Information Companies Check....................................... 18
Background checks can be simple or complex. In this Chapter, you’ll see what
types of information a hiring company might choose to verify during a
background check.
Section 2: Inside a Background Check ............................................................... 26
How Employment Records Get Verified ................................................. 29
You'll learn who hiring companies call to verify your past employment and
discover why your records may not be where they're supposed to be.
How Education Records Get Verified ..................................................... 51
Many applicants lie about their education. In this Chapter, you'll learn
how companies can quickly and easily find out the truth.
When References Get Called ................................................................. 61
One bad reference can cost you the job. You'll learn why companies check
references and what questions they ask.
Checking Your Criminal History .............................................................. 66
The vast majority of hiring companies will check to see if you have a criminal
background. In this Chapter, you'll learn what type of information is
available to verifiers.
Miscellaneous Verifications.................................................................... 69
Companies can verify a wide variety of information. This Chapter will cover
some specialized verifications that they may choose to do.

Section 3: Filling Out the Application .................................................................. 72
The Four Golden Rules ........................................................................... 74
Providing the right kinds of information on your job application is the key to
a successful background check. In this Chapter, you'll learn the four rules
that successful applicants follow.
Providing Your Personal Information...................................................... 92
You want your background report to come back with your information and
not someone else's. This Chapter takes you step-by-step through the personal
information you need to provide to get the right outcome.
Providing Your Education Information .................................................105
Listing your educational background is much more than jotting down the
name of a school and the date you graduated. This Chapter will spell out
what specific pieces of information you need to provide.
Providing Your Employment Information .............................................115
Providing accurate employment information can be tricky. Companies can
close, get acquired, or change names. Contract and temporary employment
records may not be where you expect them to be. This Chapter will show you
how to insure that all of your employment is verifiable.
Choosing Great References..................................................................136
This Chapter will show you how to pick outstanding references and prepare
them to be called. It will also explain what can happen when a hiring
company calls a reference that was not on your list.
Section 4: Preparing for a Background Check .................................................143
When you decided to look for a job, you probably updated your resume,
bought a new suit and boned up on interviewing skills. It's also a good idea
to prepare for a background check. In this section, you'll learn how to do that.
Your Secret Weapon...........................................................................................159

hmmm....I just read the sample chapter on her website. I have worked at a hotel for 5+ years as a fulltime but seasonal employee. Every Jan., Feb., and March I do a layoff that the company automatically sets up for me with unemployment pay and all. That is when I have gotten most of my ratings knocked out. Her chapter just got me all concerned that I'm screwed now because I say I have been employed by this hotel for 5 plus years on my resume. Surely I don't have to break it down into five different date periods on my resume. DO I ??? These kind of books freak me out!!!

mcjohn said:
hmmm....I just read the sample chapter on her website. I have worked at a hotel for 5+ years as a fulltime but seasonal employee. Every Jan., Feb., and March I do a layoff that the company automatically sets up for me with unemployment pay and all. That is when I have gotten most of my ratings knocked out. Her chapter just got me all concerned that I'm screwed now because I say I have been employed by this hotel for 5 plus years on my resume. Surely I don't have to break it down into five different date periods on my resume. DO I ??? These kind of books freak me out!!!

McJohn,

I emailed Jan and asked her your question. Here is her answer:

>>
Kathy,

Seasonal employment is very common. Here's how to handle it:

ABC Company - 4/00 - Current (Seasonal - April-Dec)

That way you keep all of the employment together, but the hiring company isn't surprised when they call and discover that you're not employed 12 months of the year.

You always want to avoid surprises. Give them all the information up front, the more the better.

Now if he works those other three months each year at another job, he'll need to provide information on that as well. If he spends the three months at the same company each year, he can handle it the same way as above. However, if he works at different companies each time, he will need to list each 3-month stint separately.

If he does not work at all during those three months, I would put a note with the ABC employment that says that he does not work during the three off months.

Companies are suspicious about gaps in employment.
Many times it means someone is in jail. Spell it out for them, so they know exactly what you were doing for the whole year.

Hope that answers the question. If not, please let me know.

Jan Maxwell
<<

I think it would be important to know how your employer is handling the inquiries to your employment history. In addition, your history will show up on unemployment department records. But since I have not been in HR for several years, especially since 9/11, I am not sure how in-depth they are going with background checks.

Hope that answer helps. If possible, I would inquire as to how your employer is handling inquiries. With unemployment, you have to verify where you were during those months - i.e., they want to make sure you are not in a terrorist training camp. With you getting your ratings, it should not be a problem to verify where you were.

Latest resources

Back