• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Babysitting the airplane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So for those for whom SW is their first airline, they may not know anything else and may not understand why it is a big deal. I don't think that makes them morons. I just think we can help them to see that it is industry standard and not unsafe to change from the status quo.

You should have seen the b!tching when we had to start using the "Bypass Pin". NOBODY likes the gear pins or babysitting the jet, I argued this point many times when I was an F/O and you just are not going to change someones mind on the issue, you're wasting air, thats all I'm trying to say here. If they felt the same way about the pins and the babysitting as they did about the bypass pin, then it probably would be on its fast way out.

Just so I'm understanding correctly; you have to pin your gear anytime you have a plane at the gate unattended?

No, but almost that ridiculous. Every night when an aircraft terminates the rampers insert the gear pins. Every morning on an originator, the F.O. pulls the pins during the walk around.

You should have seen the b!tching when we had to start using the "Bypass Pin". NOBODY likes the gear pins or babysitting the jet, I argued this point many times when I was an F/O and you just are not going to change someones mind on the issue, you're wasting air, thats all I'm trying to say here. If they felt the same way about the pins and the babysitting as they did about the bypass pin, then it probably would be on its fast way out.

Difference being...bypass pin serves a ..REAL purpose.
Gear pins...not so much
Bypass pins don't really involve the flight deck/manual labor.
What was the bitching about??
That it was safer or that it was .....a change?

Difference being...bypass pin serves a ..REAL purpose.
Gear pins...not so much
Bypass pins don't really involve the flight deck/manual labor.
What was the bitching about??
That it was safer or that it was .....a change?

With SWA procedures about as much as the Gear pins. The ramp guys would say... "AirTran pin in".

Latest resources

Back