• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Babysitting the airplane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best thing about the AirTran merger has been an infusion of new blood and new perspectives on industry best practice..

Yeah, but we're not trying to get anyone to buy us right now.

Jeeezus H Christ-does it ever end?

FWIW "take it to the swapull forum" Been there done that for years. We've been bitching about Gear Pins and babysitting airplanes for years. As someone else pointed out, that was the way we did it at the unit back in the day so therefore............

And can we stop with the incessant Tranny/RSW hatefest? I'll admit that I fought like a commanchee for my side when there was a my side but that ship has sailed.

We're all one big happy slightly dysfunctional family. Let's keep it that way. I like to tell people that Kelly and VDV's long term goal has been to take worst parts of SWA and the worst parts of AAI and that will be the new airline.

Bypass pin? Added layer of protection. I like it.

Gear pins? BFD Pulled them for years and still pull them to this day at least once a trip.

Babysitting the plane? They pay me the big bucks to the let the FO go on his merry way and I'll be the one to decide if I'm being dicked around with too long. I can tell you from experience that every ground person to a man and woman eventually followed my directive to deplane and shut the aircraft down. And I never spent more than fifteen minutes waiting for it to happen. I've waited longer at the curb for the hotel transportation to arrive. Fix THAT!! That's something I can get spooled about.

To my SWA OG's-Time to let it go. To my newly arrived friends. Welcome. Let's stay focused on the big stuff, the killer items and the contract.

The company loves playing divide and conquer and as you'll see unless you keep swapull focused they'll gladly carry the water for them in that department.

followed my directive ..

" Yes Sir!"

That sounds fairly normal to me? Are you suggesting that other airlines leave pax on the plane with no crew? Someone trained on the A/C should remain with the A/C when it is powered up to monitor it. Ever seen a ramper who "knows" how to turn power on deploy the O2 masks? I have.

Nope, I'm usually gone before row 9 has gotten their junk out of the overheard. Aircraft is powered, everything is armed, FA's on board, pilots running up the jetway....pretty standard. We can leave with the APU running if we choose. Not seen that done often but it happens.

Last edited:
At G4, they're allowed to board a plane w/o the pilots, but by GOD at least one must stay 'till the plane is emptied! Supposedly has to do with keeping the Emergency Lights armed until the last pax deplanes. Guess they don't need the lights for boarding ;) Here, F/O means "First Off!"

Nope, I'm usually gone before row 9 has gotten their junk out of the overheard. Aircraft is powered, everything is armed, FA's on board, pilots running up the jetway....pretty standard. We can leave with the APU running if we choose. Not seen that done often but it happens.

Latest resources

Back