• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Babysitting the airplane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why in God's name would someone sit around for 2 hours!?

I'd bet if every pilot powered the aircraft "down to the blue light" before they left the aircraft that policy would get fixed real quick.

He was a "kernel" from Phoenix and didn't want to get home early to find motorcycles in his driveway. Plus it gave him two more hours to micromanage. That's what I heard anyway.

The Classic Tranny Jackas$, thank God they really are the minority. I have flown with some great guys from AirTran, but recently I've been seeing more and more of these guys. I call them the Band Camp trannys..

This one time, at AirTran...

Just hoping I don't see a flute.

Fu(k guys, give it a rest. :puke:

Ooooh, somebody hurt your feelings. Grow up captain, believe it or not there are better ways to do some things. If you can't handle it and believe it's a safety issue, please call the CP on duty and discuss it, I'm sure your f/o's will be happy to talk to them as well.

The Classic Tranny Jackas$, thank God they really are the minority. I have flown with some great guys from AirTran, but recently I've been seeing more and more of these guys. I call them the Band Camp trannys..

Uh. It's stupid. And an inconsistent rule as well. We leave the APU running unattended on international turns and as part of cold weather ops. I can normally find the classic vs. NG reasons behind a lot dumbed down procedures. But this ground power thing is retarded.

Who cares who does what?

It doesn't matter whether there are better ways to do something until those ways come to the airline who's paying your salary.

Uh. It's stupid. And an inconsistent rule as well. We leave the APU running unattended on international turns and as part of cold weather ops.

And MX will bring it to the gate, with the APU running, and leave it alone also. Why can they do it? It doesn't make sense but how often does it ever affect me? I wish they would change it, but in the grand scheme, it happens so rarely I don't get all mental over it like some guys.

Why in God's name would someone sit around for 2 hours!?

Nobody would, it's a made up story. There is no reason to ever leave passengers on an aircraft for 2 hours. If the next flight was that far away they would deplane them and then you would just shut it down, I've done it before.

Who cares who does what?

It doesn't matter whether there are better ways to do something until those ways come to the airline who's paying your salary.

Like a Checkairman recently told me, some people are just going to be miserable no matter what.

Do you think you acting like the classic Corndog Kernel might have anything to do with you "flying with more and more of these guys"?.

:rolleyes:

And MX will bring it to the gate, with the APU running, and leave it alone also. Why can they do it? It doesn't make sense but how often does it ever affect me? I wish they would change it, but in the grand scheme, it happens so rarely I don't get all mental over it like some guys.

It affects you every day and on every turn.

What if you had a twenty minute turn. You wanted to use a real, porcelain potty and the Captain wanted to go buy Auntie Anne's pretzels for the crew. Right now you have to rush your business (assuming he lets you go first) so that you get back in time for him to run upstairs. If they would eliminate this policy, once the airplane was on ground power with the APU shut down you could both bail out as soon as the parking checklist was done, divide and conquer.

It's really an efficiency issue as much as anything else. We can be more productive with our limited time if we aren't chained to the airplane for no reason.

Here's another example. You are headed to Denver with a planned 60 minutes for an airplane swap. You think you'll have plenty of time to grab some lunch, use the restroom, and maybe even run up to the lounge to grab the latest CQT study guide. Instead after landing and shutting down you find out that the inbound crew isn't due in for :30 minutes and since there are through passengers we are required to stay with the plane. One of the pilots is going to be stuck babysitting while the other reaps the benefits of a break in the action.

You're right, it's a tiny thing just like gear pins are a tiny thing. But eliminating a policy that has no real bearing on safety would improve the at-work quality of life of the crews and specifically of the first officers.

I suspect it doesn't mean much to those who are working for their first and only airline - they don't know any better. (And some are conditioned to follow orders by decades of service) but for those who have experienced life under other liveries it is a more difficult pill to swallow.

You're right, it's a tiny thing just like gear pins are a tiny thing.

Gear pins are just plane stupid. I can see, but don't necessarily agree, the fact that some idiot could accidentally knock out the ground power (I've had it happen), but have you ever seen a 737 spontaneously go gear up on the ramp?

Latest resources

Back