• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B777 Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am net taxes here in China. The company does give us the tax receipts that they pay on our behalf so you can file either way with the foreign income exclusion or or your taxes paid method.
I zeroed out my fed taxes this year with the exclusion on earnings of 180k.

The agencies in China are meaningless, they just want their recruitment fee. I have been here 4 years now but on my way out. The money here is great but in the end it is not worth the money with an extremely difficult flying environment, QAR events and the Chinese punishment culture, Mindless meetings on days off without pay, Astronaut style physicals, the worst schedules you can imagine, highly inefficient and huge ground delays at most stops make it brutal on your health and well being. If you want quick cash for one contract maybe 2 if you are lucky with your medicals then Go For it but don't come here with career expectations. If you are in your 30s it is much better, 40s is doable but difficult, 50s is rolling the dice every 6 months to get through a medical. At age 50 plan on doing an extensive EEG test, an echocardiogram, a treadmill stress test, extensive blood and urine tests plus the normal eyes, hearing, BP every 6 months. In the end there will be no job security driving you to look elsewhere.

The agencies in China are meaningless, they just want their recruitment fee. I have been here 4 years now but on my way out. The money here is great but in the end it is not worth the money with an extremely difficult flying environment, QAR events and the Chinese punishment culture, Mindless meetings on days off without pay, Astronaut style physicals, the worst schedules you can imagine, highly inefficient and huge ground delays at most stops make it brutal on your health and well being. If you want quick cash for one contract maybe 2 if you are lucky with your medicals then Go For it but don't come here with career expectations. If you are in your 30s it is much better, 40s is doable but difficult, 50s is rolling the dice every 6 months to get through a medical. At age 50 plan on doing an extensive EEG test, an echocardiogram, a treadmill stress test, extensive blood and urine tests plus the normal eyes, hearing, BP every 6 months. In the end there will be no job security driving you to look elsewhere.

Curious which airline you are/were at?

PM if you want, I'll be in Shenzhen on a personal visit from the 20th.

Typhoonpilot

I can't disagree with WYOMINGPILOT one iota. Things have changed since I first came in 2009 and not for the better. So far my personal situation here remains stable but that can change every six months as stated. But let's be honest. Even back in the U.S. we have a jeopardy event every six months, and with the easy medicals of the past on the way out from what I read.

Just curious; what is a QAR event? Also-- just curious what meetings on unpaid days off are all about. Is it to discuss whatever a QAR event is?

QAR = Quick Access Recorder

It records the aircraft parameters during the course of a flight. Each airline can configure ways to read it that generate trigger events, i.e. Greater than 250 KIAS below 10,000 feet, gear not down by 1500 feet AAL, speed greater than Vref + 20 below 1000 feet AAL.

Wyoming can probably explain better how the Chinese airlines will "fine" pilots when certain trigger events are recorded.

TP

Latest resources

Back