B757 fuel reserves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spooky 1

For those that are actually flying the B757 (Part 121) what kind of fuel reserves are you seeing when your using "no alternate" CAVU at the destination. i.e., when you shut'em at the gate what's left in the tanks. Big debate on this end, so I need to hear from the guys and gals who are doing this every day.

Thanks in adavnce,

like to have 8 or 9. i have seen a dispatch with 6, no thanks. not much left after a go around in that situation.

The :45 minute fuel is 5000 lbs +/- a couple of hundred. At DAL, we typically block in with about 7-8000 lbs., however, the company has been reducing our contingency fuel, so we're blocking in with closer to 7000 lbs lately. We just started using an FAA exemption for dispatch that changes the domestic IFR fuel requirement. Instead of needing an IFR alternate when destination weather is within the 1,2,3 parameters we now use a 1,1,2 rule (1 hour before/after, 1000 ft cigs, 2 miles vis).

Exemption 8575 (“1-1-2 Rule”) - with certain restrictions
No alternate airport is required if for 1 hour before and 1 hour after the
estimated time of arrival at the destination airport, the appropriate weather
reports or forecasts, or any combination of them, indicate:
• The ceiling will be at least 1,000 feet above the airport elevation; and
• Visibility will be at least 2 miles.

Okay I see where you are coming from with this scenario. So lets take a look at the following. This time we will use an alternate.

Fuel to destination: 35000
Fuel to alternate 4000
45" hold 5500

I seem to recall that Delta's policy is that 5000 is considered "Min Fuel" and 3500 is considered "Emergency Fuel" both based upon certain perfromance parameters in the event of missed approaches. So looking at the above fuel load would you expect to still have a minimum fuel onboard of 5000 after you had exhausted the 4000 for the diversion and the 5500 for the 45 minute hold, or would you have build that 5000 "min Fuel" into some other part of the flight plan? In other words if you held for the 45" and then diverted, where is the remaining fuel at?

1,1,2 rule??? since I have been away from dispatching currently I was unaware of this new exemption, could you shed some light on what a company must have to get this exemption...just form my own FYI. maybe a reg number reference..

thanks

snow-back said:
Exemption 8575 (“1-1-2 Rule”) - with certain restrictions
No alternate airport is required if for 1 hour before and 1 hour after the
estimated time of arrival at the destination airport, the appropriate weather
reports or forecasts, or any combination of them, indicate:
• The ceiling will be at least 1,000 feet above the airport elevation; and
• Visibility will be at least 2 miles.

Never heard of this particular exemption, could you elaborate on the restrictions?

What they want to plan you with a FOD amount and what you typically end up with varies (obviously).

On my paperwork on a CAVU day going into the busier airports I don't want to see a pound less than 8,000 on the paperwork. Especially for Newark.

If you're new on the airplane always add a little more in your planning or the comfort factor. Changing types takes a while to get a good feel for low altitude burn. Going to the 75 from a smaller aircraft can really open your eyes with the increased burn.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back